How often would SPORTS mode be used

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If your car had a sports mode*, how often would you use it?

*(assuming sports mode affected suspension stiffness as well as giving a performance boost.)

Weekends mainly for me. I need the soft ride and economy for the commute.

The car is in permanent sport mode as that's how the ECU software is written. I do tend to drive the car around like Miss Daisy however, especially as it is a thirsty monster around London with all the traffic.

My Primera was much more pleasant in sport mode than in normal mode. Economy was largely unaffected. 'Normal' mode just seemed to force very early upshifts - pointless with a rev=happy (and torque-shy) Japanese four cylinder engine.

I don't see much fuel difference in mine whether it is with the race map or economy map, and driving hard or gentle makes little difference on long journeys. 7MPG is the biggest real world difference I can get on a full tank! Obviously when you put your foot down the MPG drops a lot but the average over a journey still seems to be good and I'm sure it gets more economical when you've given it a good thrashing anyway.

I stick with economy though, the lower wear and tear and extra few MPG I get are worth it IMO for the commutes.

Most of the time I use D mode. I can still 'flappy paddle' if I wish to while in D which I like. Sport mode seems a little intense in revs for normal day to day use. I don't have the adaptive chassis control option on my car, it's just a standard setting, which I find is a little hard for just cruising to work, but she sticks to the road like glue on a spirited drive:D