How often stuck in queues

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How much time do you spend in your car completely stationary and stuck in a traffic queue in a typical day?

Thankfully I work from home so it is not so much of a problem for me but even on a 10 minute journey into town I can spend about 3 minutes waiting for traffic lights, gaps in main roads to pull out and in jams. That equates to about 1/3 of my driving time:eek:

depends on what time of day it is ? picking my kids up frm school turns a 3 mnute journrey in to 20 mins lol

Sadly that's quite common. I have the same problem here. But we are all on the road and adding to the traffic so perhaps can't really say all that much.

I'm expecting some backlash here as to why I drive mine to school when it's 3 minutes away and the reason is that I had a very bad RTA (circa 60mph frontal impact) last year from which I walked away.

The legacy is psychological/emotional damage (which is mostly fixed now) but there is some permanent damage to my right foot, which was planted hard on the brake pedal at the time of the impact and I can no longer (or, not yet, anyway) reliably walk more than 1/4 mile or so. This is not a whinge, I got away very lightly indeed given the speeds involved but if anyone sees me driving what appears to be a very short journey then that's why.

I don't like it either but we all do have choices. We pay enough for the privilege of driving so if we choose to do so then it should not be condemned.

every day, out of a 45 minute drive to work at least 25 minutes is taken up sitting in queues. i did, at one time, think about cycling to work - but then i woke up.

if we've had a spot of heavy rain its even worse, last night 1 hour to get back, 45minutes of which stuck in traffic - this is the same every time it rains.

Living in rainy old devon, it takes me 15-20 mins to do the 12 miles to work, depending on tractor meets. the worst bit for me isnt the queues, but the clowns who do35-40 in the 60, and then 45-50 going through the villages where its 30, and all the kids are on there way to school. If any thing makes me mad its them. grrr
I was however in london at the weekend, it took 1hr 20, to go from kings cross to bromley. about 14 miles. thats queing for the the sake of queing.

i have only driven in london once and most of my hair ended up on my seast as i was so frustrated. never again. if i ever need to go there again will park up at my destination and walk or public transport.

traffic lights are the bane of every motorist. the ones i hate are the ones that dont change when there is nothing waiting at other lights. no sensor ones really do my nut !!!!!!!!

traffic lights are the bane of every motorist. the ones i hate are the ones that dont change when there is nothing waiting at other lights. no sensor ones really do my nut !!!!!!!!

I lived in germany for a couple of years. They got traffic lights down to a tee. At night they just flash amber and all you do is treat it as a junction, (ie give way to the right over there). No needless queing at lights for no reason.

A lot, but that's thanks to the wonderful new car park design at Kingsmill. Some wonderful academic thought it would be a good idea to have those pay-as-you-stay ticket machines in. Great - except that they also keep track of the number of vehicles they allow in to the car park, so when it's full, they stop operating.

Ambulance bays aren't included in this figure (they're adding a separate route for us), which caused confusion up to Friday (we finally got access cards then - hopefully solving that problem). Sometimes when attempting to access the campus, the route would be completely blocked from the main road to the car-park - and not much would be shifting (2 entry barriers, 1 exit barrier for added fun).

I do not que well. If im in a shop trying to buy 10 fags and a newspaper, and every bugger in front of me is paying with card, I'll simply walk out, I have even been known to leave shopping in its basket/trolly and walk out if the girl on the till is chatting away when they should be working. The same applies with me in my car. Only last friday I reversed and did a U turn and went the long way round ans there was a que of about 20 cars pulling out of a junction, and the one at the front would not pull out, and drivers would not let him/her out.

So average time spent in a queue each day is around 1 min.