How long do fuel injectors last

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How long does a typical petrol cars fuel injector last? I guess it will get to a point where it pays to replace them, but what is that point?

How many of you have needed new injectors or do you think they last the length of the cars life?

We service petrol injectors and have found that they can be out of spec by as much as 25% over a period of time. How long that timespan is varies and depends on what fuel has been used mainly. Cheap fuels will varnish up injectors and ruin spray patterns, coincidentally so will many alleged fuel cleaning agents.
Poor starting can be attributed to injectors in need of servicing as can poor emissions. Most of these problems can be rectified by servicing the injectors and it's not something people look for.
We bought an ASNU machine when Lucas went bust, they used to service our stuff and we didn't have anyone local to do it for us.
Here's a link from our website showing what happens. We have more videos but just put those up as it really should explain enough.
http://www.sumiyaka.co.uk/html/tips.htm

It varies on which injectors and obviously how many. For the GTO's we have enough in stock to send them out so people can change theirs for a fully serviced set, with a flow sheet, and return theirs to us.
For other types we would service and post them back on the day we recieve them, with flow sheet etc.

I've never had problems with injectors (diesel or petrol) even at massive mileages but I've always used premium fuels and occasional doses of decent injector cleaning products.

There is some merit in using good fuel in my opinion. Especially with today's mad pressure diesel systems; it doesn't take much 'gunk' to seriously bugger them up. That's if the fuel pump doesn't quit first.

The earlier stuff was strangely very good indeed in my experience. The carb and injector ones are virtually identical - neither will poison a 3 way cat.

I don't rate redex diesel products although I have not tried the latest range of products.

STP petrol injector cleaner is good.

Forte's fuel treatments are excellent.

Injectors are the last, if ever, thing that anyone considers servicing and everyone thinks that theirs are fine. I absolutely guarantee that anyone who sees their injectors being flow tested and cleaned will be surprised, especially if they have used cheap fuels. Don't get me wrong, i run my own GTO on Tesco or Morrisons crap fuel, the car is mapped for it but i have the benefit of being able to service my injectors whenever i need/desire to. If i'm going on a long run i fill the tank with the best fuel available.
Using additives is a waste of money, use a good fuel in the first place and you won't need to kid yourself that additives are making a difference.
Quality fuel doesn't contain the cheap waxes that cheap stuff does.

Perhaps I'm over cautious then using premium fuel and occasional additives. I suppose if I['m realistic I'm saying that I've never had an additive give a negative effect so maybe the positives are in my head.

I've had 0.00% CO readings at 160,000+ miles at MoT time so maybe there is method in the madness

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back