How do you feel about letting other people drive your car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you mind letting people borrow, use or drive your car? When you leave it with a garage or posh place with valet parking do you mind? Are you protective? What about letting your other half drive it?

im actually really protective about my car even though it could do with a new rear bumper now :oops:

Doesn;t bother me particularly as long as they covered by my insurance policy. Not keen on 3rd party only drivers. I also get a bit concerned by people with zero mechanical sympathy. You know, the one's who use full revs from stone cold and then switch off without letting the turbos spin down when they're hot.

My father's the worst proponent of this - rev's it up and then yanks out the key.

You've now got a turbocharger spinning at 200,000rpm and NO OIL PRESSURE!!

Not good.

I just like other people to try my car as it is quite old. Theres always a small challenge of driving it smoothly if you don't know how to work with the clutch and gas...

Why do old people rev up before switching off the engine - so many of them do it? There must be a reason!

a prat decided to come round the car park to quickly and nearly took out the nose of my car, seeing he was on a colission course with me i hit reverse and gunned it but couldnt stop intime for the low wall behind me, its only superficial damage though so its not as bad as it could have been although the sickening feeling i got was really bad

i dont get why they do that either, revving up to shut off the engine :?

waynne said:
Why do old people rev up before switching off the engine - so many of them do it? There must be a reason!

Because in the old old days of carbs and chokes it helped to get some fuel into the intake manifold which would displace dampness and therefore aid starting in the morning.

It also manages to wash oil from the cylinder bores and contributes to clouds of blue smoke on startup. These, too, can be displaced by revving the thing to death half a second after starting ;)

apart from my husband NO ONE drives my car :shock: even when he is driving i cringe when he gets too near other cars and kerbs , just the thought is making me panic :lol:

MY heart beats erratically if i do

i've had my bother insured for two years but i've only just started letting him borrow the car.
my cars have always been low, [sports suspension] and alloy wheels with lowprofile tires.
THAT i what stresses me out the most, coz i know everyone is used to scraping the tires against he kerb and gettig away with it.

and i also get paranoid about them leaving my stereo face on.

i still dont get why old people rev the engines, HDI Fun explained it very well.
but can anyone tell me why my dad leaves keys in the car? i think he's scared he's gonna lose them.
Needless to say he's only driven my car once, and i sat in the passenger seat.

push button start for dad

haha.
then i' have to get him a keyless remote and tie it round his neck.

actually, does anyone make an AFTERMARKET keyless entry system without having to press a button 2 open it on return2the car?? that wud be a gud idea.

The only other person I let drive my stilo is the wife ..who has one herself 3dr model :rolleyes: :lol: her 1.4 is only 95bhp though so when she gets behind the wheel in mine she tends to frighten the crap out of me :oops:

With regard to the revving before turning the engine off,

I do it cause my exhaust sounds nice, I open the door a crack, rev it and turn it off and the noise gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I leave the car :D

oceaness said:

I do it cause my exhaust sounds nice, I open the door a crack, rev it and turn it off and the noise gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I leave the car :D

I feel the awrm fuzziness, i must say i frequent the same maneouvre myself. It's niiiiiiiiice :twisted: 8)

Nothing like the sound of a cars engine dropping from a few thousand revs and gently burbling out.

My car burbles beautifully :D

Incidently I love pushing my engine at 3500rpm it's not exactly loud it's just the right frequency that reverberates around inside your head :lol:

Nope, my Dad is a talentless driver (age 70) and is likely to kerb alloys, damage tyre sidewalls.

He also thinks that it's wise to be in gear five once over 30mph. That's below idle revs in my car. So, what does he do? Slips the clutch and then declares my car to be torque shy!! What? With over 300lbft torque?

i have a rule of sorts when it comes to people driving my car...

must be female, very cute, and easy to throw out of the drivers seat if necesary...and residential driving only please ladies!!

i was actually surprised at how many of my friends let me drive their cars when iw as just learning, on main roads too. i wouldn thave done it, but i thank them for it now

Ive let a few people drive my car, they have the insurance to cover it, I'm in the passenger seat and I now their good, sensible drivers. My brother is an idiot and thats why he hasn't driven my car and he never will.

SexyBeast69 said:
oceaness said:

I feel the awrm fuzziness, i must say i frequent the same maneouvre myself. It's niiiiiiiiice :twisted: 8)

Don't ever do this with a turbocharged engine. You'll wreck the turbo in no time.

What about reving up after starting the engine?

I usually do it to taunt my friend that has a 206 1.9 Straight Diesel.

Naturally, mine has such a nice sound to it compared to his.

Pixel, don't rev a cold engine either. You'll take thousands of miles off its life.

mechanical sympathy is required from start and when shutting down.

In between, though, go and enjoy every last torque, bhp and rev point.

Use it like it's supposed to be used.

Boss429 said:
i was actually surprised at how many of my friends let me drive their cars when iw as just learning, on main roads too. i wouldn thave done it, but i thank them for it now

yep ave my wife to thank for me now driving at 17 a wasnt bothered about driving (a know 17 male not interesed in driving) she gave me a go in her metro no license no insureance but it ws fun and booked ma lessons a week later.

with regards to reving the engine dont take a cold engine over 2500 rpm which is usually mentioned in all handbooks

pg is totally right, don't rev a cold engine - let the oil warm up and circulate before you work it too hard.

I had a Nissan Primera 2.0 16valve a couple fo years back (drove it from 3000 to over 170,000 miles) and it never put a foot, boot or leg out of bed.

But, I treated it so gently when it was warming up.

And I totally twatted it when it was warmed up. Silly up changes at nearly 8000rpm.

Let it cool down before pulling the key out.

Kept it serviced on time. (which was far cheaper than diesel servicing)

Changed for the 2.2 turbo diesel 406 a year or three back.

Yep, the Pug is more economical on fuel, more comfortable, more kit, quieter, and significantly quicker still.

Would I take back the Nissan.

You bet I would

Cooling down is pretty imprortant - especially on a Turbo engine. I see so many peopel thrash their turbos and just switch off the engine. Then they wonder why their turbo dies or engine siezes on them.

Any of our newer members have opinions either way on sharing their car with others or letting other people drive?

I don't let others drive my car.
The wifelet is covered to drive but prefers not to. I make for a scary passenger.
No one else in my circles has ever driven a powerful car (whilst I have a few petrolhead friends they own sensible, family, eco friendly, hunchbacks). I'd be terrified they would lose it the first time they put their foot down and the turbo does its thing.
My friends are aware of my feelings and never ask to drive, anyway :p

the mrs drives mine for work, but only until she gets another smaller car. Shes not quite used to the size of mine yet but never floors it and rarely goes above 2000-2500 rpm in any gear.

Nobody but me drives my car and any time I leave it at a garage (if it has to be left there without me) I take a photo of the HUD so I know whether or not they've been messing about in it, if they ever do there'll be harsh words. I'd let the wife drive it (if she wanted to) I suppose, as she knows my feelings on my car