Help wanted Citreon C2 VTR!

MsEditor

Tuner
Hey guys and Gals I wonder if you can give me some advice please?

My daughter has an 04 VTR that she bought from a local dealer with 3 months engine warranty.

It has since started to break down on her quite a bit and she has been back to the dealer with it who has now told her that the problem is gearbox related and therefore not covered under the warranty.

Basically when she is driving along the car will beep then cut out and she looses everything apart from electrics. When she tries to restart it doesn't turn over and it flashes the AUTO warning light - after approximately 45 mins to an hour she can turn it over and it will start but eventually it all happens over again.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

Many thanks in advance

:)

What does the manual say about the AUTO warning light?

Sorry, I didn't mean that in a flippant way. I just asked the question in case it might offer some pointers

mmmm if the engines cutting out id say that it was the engine that was causing the problem.

not trying to be cleaver but she is trying to turn it over when its out of gear and clutch down? if it is then it deffienitly shouldnt be the engine

second thinking on this is it a manual or auto gearbox

Hey guys and Gals I wonder if you can give me some advice please?

My daughter has an 04 VTR that she bought from a local dealer with 3 months engine warranty.

It has since started to break down on her quite a bit and she has been back to the dealer with it who has now told her that the problem is gearbox related and therefore not covered under the warranty.

Basically when she is driving along the car will beep then cut out and she looses everything apart from electrics. When she tries to restart it doesn't turn over and it flashes the AUTO warning light - after approximately 45 mins to an hour she can turn it over and it will start but eventually it all happens over again.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

Many thanks in advance

:)

Might be worthwhile having a chat with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. Goods have to be of a merchantable quality, regardless of the warranty offered.

Park it across the entrance to their premises and refuse to move it until they offer to attend to the problem!!

lol Bit strong but may work.... I had an old 323 that did similar to this with the cutting out and it was because it was overheating. May not be your prob but check the fluid levels just incase. Why not also go to another garage and get a second opinion. A diagnostic shouldn't cost too much....

My suggestion was a bit harsh, I agree. I did once use it though to extract a full refund for a 3 year old Renault Laguna from the supplying (Ford, in this case) dealer. I'd had it 8 days - it was fault laden and they were far too slow in offering solutions.

You need to be quite solid in your representation if you do this.

This case we're discussing is not quite that bad - I'd like MSEditor to disclose the purchase price of the car as this is important in deciding whether or not the goods are of merchantable quality. If this gets out of hand and goes to small claims the judge will look to take the price into consideration when awarding costs.

If the car was bought from a dealer, you have a guarantee regardless of the 3 month engine warranty offered. Seek advice via the local trading standards and or CAB. They are fobbing you off and you need to get heavy with them. Out of interest who is the dealer as I am based in Cowplain?

Thanks for all the advice guys...

Firstly its an auto gearbox and apparently it won't turn over when it cuts out as its still in gear. She also can't get it into N when its cut out.

I believe she paid 3.5k for it and was told that it only had 2 owners from new - after she bought the car and received the log book it actually had 5 owners and she is the 6th

On top of that the car only has 30k miles and even though she has no proof it would seem a little unlikely that the mileage would be that low after 5 owners - wouldn't it?

I have told her to speak to a main dealer and also try and take it to another garage for a second opinion.. I will keep you updated on that

She is in west London near Heathrow and I'm not sure who the dealer is but I'll find out as the whole deal seems rather dodgey!

They took the car back for 5 days and did nothing - just handed it back saying that the gearbox was shot and it wasn't their problem

It's really frustrating as she put all her money into it and as a single mum that's not easy. I am going up there on Saturday so may well pay this dealer a visit myself.....

One for trading standards here. 6 owners and an alledged 30k, either its been tampered with or its been off the road more times than on it due to 'issues'.

Definately a case to get your money back.

Is the steering wheel and pedals showing signs of wear (smoothness for example) These are good indicators of mileage, not many bother to renew them.