Headlight tinting

Ok I just had a look under the bonnet and it's really confusing. I can see the two black cap things on each side. I'm guessing one for each headlight and sidelight, right? But when I open the big caps I think I can see the bulb in there somewhere but I don't know how I'd get it out, and there's loads of wires and I can't see where they're going.

Yeah it looked like there were things you squeeze to take them out. But once you've done that how do you get the bulb out? There's like some metal thing in there, do you take that out?

Yeah it looked like there were things you squeeze to take them out. But once you've done that how do you get the bulb out? There's like some metal thing in there, do you take that out?
that metal thing is actually the bulb, go ahead pull it out

am saying nothing to that above post..................

there might be a metal clip to hold it the lamp (bulb) in place.
have a look at it you should see how it comes off

There's not much room to see or to move things. I don't want to do anything wrong
Should I just do it as hard as I can? Are you sure I won't bust anything? I made a mess last time

Stupid car. How am I supposed to get in there?
your best bet mate is buy the bulbs, bring it to a garage and let them change them, they'll charge you 10 pounds mate

if it has to be explained this many times to you, your obviously stuck on what to do, you could end up breaking something

if you can take a pic of the back of the unit where the wires and rubber things are, il tell you how:D

Yeah I'll just take it to a garage. All I need to know now is how much the bulbs would cost in Halfords?

But how much do you think they'd cost in Halfords? I could buy them there then take them to a garage instead

And to release the bulb there is metal that holds it in like on a hinge you have to push it towards the bulb then release the metal bit from it latch..... I dunno what it's called but I hope you understand this.

This is what i'm on about.
bulb8.jpg

Hope this helps it shows you the metal retainer.

Good news. Just been to Halfords. Bought 4 bulbs. 2 blue tinted sidelight bulbs for £4. And 2 blue tinted headlight bulbs for about £40. They look good and I'm getting them fitted at 4pm today. So hopefully they'll look good on the car too. I'm hoping the sidelight ones are bright enough for daytime.

Ok they're fitted.. and they same to be the same brightness as before. Headlights are 55 watt now.
But there's one tiny problem... THERE'S NO BLUE TINT!!! AHHHHHHHHH
I spent £50 altogether, including £10 fitting costs. The sidelight and headlight bulbs were labelled "laser blue" and there was a picture thing on it showing blue tinted light. But the light looks clear white to me now that it's on my car.. even my friends think so!! Why are these stupid lights plain white and not tinted blue? I don't care if they'd be darker I just wanted them blue!!
Will Halfords let me take them back? I bet I'd have to pay again to have new ones fitted right? And would they actually have ones that are really blue???

the lights wont be blue due to the legal requirement for them to be white. the only vechile that are aloud to have blue are the emergency vechiles.

its the lamp themselves that are tinted blue and 55w he standard for headlight bulbs

Last edited:
But I've seen people with blue headlights and bright blue sidelights. Why did it say they're blue when they're not? I've got tint spray, is it worth tinting the lense or something?

the slightly blue headlights are HID kits, these technically are illegal to retro fit but do give a blue colour through to purple depending on the kit used.

i wouldnt advise tinting the bulbs as when your driving at night you want as much light as you can get

Just because you've seen 'em and the cars have been issued an MoT certificate does NOT mean that they're automatically legal on the road.

Blue coloured filament lamps do make cars look very silly, especially when the headlights are turned off. There's that blue reflection from the headlight interior.

Some lamps have a very subtle blue/purple filter - these to look quite good - and because it's so subtle there's no attenuation of light.