Grey Area?

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
My beloved Mondeo started acting up on christmas eve, since the first week of January my mechanic has been trying to find the fault, it's gone back to him probably 5 times at least, every time still acting up but worse each time, He has tried more or less everything, all sensors, pump, fuel rail, valves, injectors, coil pack, leads, plugs etc, the last thing to check is the ECU. Basically he has spent a lot of time and no doubt a few pounds trying to locate the fault, Now my problem is no doubt he's going to want some money for his time but in reality he has not done what I asked him and expected him to do "Fix the car"
I Don't want to fall out with him but on the other hand as a builder I cant charge for not doing what the client asks of me.
What should I do when he presents me with a bill (If he does, I don't know what the norm is in this situation) Any ideas......HELP......

Mate believe me, he has tried 4 different diagnostic computers, He has tried everything, Now he is borrowing some sort of meter to measure the pulses going to the injectors or something like that...... What should I do if he hits me with a bill for not fixing it? (The car isn't worth much but is a cracking motor, Nice to drive, clean and very economical) I can only describe the problem as feeling like slipping points. It's more than likely a fuel related problem but then again could be anything..... I have spent many nights on the net trying to find out whats common and it seems a few people have had the same problem and given up and scrapped the cars.....

What happens when it's 'slipping'? To have any idea, I (and anyone else on here) will need more info.

As for the bill it depends on how reasonable he is about it. I would say it's fair to pay him something, but I certainly wouldn't pay a huge bill for an incomplete job. You'd have parts + labour if he fixes it.

Is he a mate that's doing it on the side or just a indy you normally use?

My mechanic doesn't want to give up as he is in too deep, However I called a Friend who has a decent sized garage and it seems the norm is..If an independent can't repair the problem they don't charge, Main dealers charge by the hour whatever the outcome.

Tough one. Buy him a pint and tell him thanks for all his help. He may take the hint. Or take him round a case of beer and say this is for all your help with the motor.

Guilt him into not asking you for money.

Mind, what am I saying? :confused: Your a builder, I'd take you for as much as I can. Id do half a job, ask for the full quote then bugger off for 6 months and change my mobile number!!! lol :lol:

Tough one. Buy him a pint and tell him thanks for all his help. He may take the hint. Or take him round a case of beer and say this is for all your help with the motor.

Guilt him into not asking you for money.

Mind, what am I saying? :confused: Your a builder, I'd take you for as much as I can. Id do half a job, ask for the full quote then bugger off for 6 months and change my mobile number!!! lol :lol:

Hey, "I may be slow......But I'm Rough"