gritting in your area

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
It's very very rare I praise the council! But this winter/spring;) my local council have done a brilliant job gritting my village/local area!! they did all the main roads + they even did some of the main side roads and all has helped to keep the traffic flowing:D

Just wandering how well your councils performed for you this winter/spring??

Both crap. Round my way, I use all the back roads and they are more or less untouched. Pot holes take around 3 months to get filled in.

Essex County Council salts approx 35% of the network. Along with A and B roads this includes access roads to vilages and roads with more than 4 buses a day using them. Minor roads are not normally done so you should expect them to be icy. During icy conditions stick to the main roads and you should be OK.

Pretty good where I am in East London, primarily because Canary Wharf and City Airport are less than two miles up the road from me.

Essex County Council salts approx 35% of the network. Along with A and B roads this includes access roads to villages and roads with more than 4 buses a day using them. Minor roads are not normally done so you should expect them to be icy. During icy conditions stick to the main roads and you should be OK.

Thanks mate, I didn't know that! My road only has the school bus. 3 go through every day.

D&G council arent the best and they usually end up putting down a 70% sand mix due to the temps.
however i will give them praise this time as they did try and keep all the main roadways clear

The buses also have to be on a scheduled route, so school buses don't count :)

What road are you on?

Oh... I see!

When you go through Cold Norton or come up from South Woodham, follow the road through Stow Maries either way, and I am just in front of the car wash...

I thought that was where you were, but it sounded like you had moved. The road you live on has scheduled buses and is on one of the salting routes.

I thought that was where you were, but it sounded like you had moved. The road you live on has scheduled buses and is on one of the salting routes.

Not any buses that I know of! I've been living there for about 13 years now. Wait a second... There is the village link bus. That comes every Wednesday and goes all round the dengie.

Not bad up here. All potholes were filled in late last year after a long time, so not really praising the council becasue it look em like 3 years to fill em. But as for gritting, not bad at all.

Not any buses that I know of! I've been living there for about 13 years now. Wait a second... There is the village link bus. That comes every Wednesday and goes all round the dengie.

Apart from the 99 which passes through Stow maries at 0925, 1125, 1325, 1525, 1725, 1935 and 2135 Monday to Friday

There is also the 593 that passes at 0735 Monday to Friday

:)

Lol, yea we going into winter soon then it ain't so bloody hot any more, actually pretty ''swear wording'' cold.

Around here it drops to minimum 5 deg. C below which is still 10 degrees lower than I approve of, snow, no thanks, wouldn't be able to drive my Skyline, and that is totally unacceptable lol.

I have spent Chriistmas in LA. I could get used to standing by the pool at 9pm in shorts with a glass in my hand :)

But only if I could get the Elan over there :)

I think I would last 3 weeks in a UK winter, then I would die, not from the cold but cause I'd want to,lol. We went to Mexico and there we went swimming in the ocean at 01:00 o clock in the morning, and the water was really warm, unreal. 5 deg is like summer for you??? I can't open my hands in that weather, how the hell on earth do you work on your cars, no wonder you lock em up till summer, that's crazy.

It's not usually this bad. Been a very long winter and no sign of summer. Usually get into the 30s for summer though and then everyone complains its too hot. There will be hell to pay if I hear anyone complaining about it being too hot this year though!!
This whole global warming thing isn't panning out the way I thought it would. The last few years have been a bit on the chilly side with winter lasting longer than usual.

Global warming doesn't simply mean everywhere gets a little warmer. A few degrees increase in the global average will upset the world's weather system and all sorts of stange things will happen.

It doesn't necessarily mean we will get hotter summers. If one result is that the gulf stream moves south or stops completely then the UK could experience similar conditions to that found in Newfoundland which is roughly on the same latitude as London. i.e. Bloody cold!

Global warming doesn't simply mean everywhere gets a little warmer. A few degrees increase in the global average will upset the world's weather system and all sorts of stange things will happen.

It doesn't necessarily mean we will get hotter summers. If one result is that the gulf stream moves south or stops completely then the UK could experience similar conditions to that found in Newfoundland which is roughly on the same latitude as London. i.e. Bloody cold!

On the other hand, it doesn't necessarily mean we will get colder summers either, or wetter, dryer ect ect. No one knows what will happen. Records only begin 110 years ago. The history of time shows that the world heats up and cools down.

Global warming is a tax gaining myth. Doesn't exist. People have made a lot of money off it.

The world is millions of years old. Do you really think, what we have done in the last 100 years of driving cars and factories and linx cans would have changed how the earth behaves? Not on your nelly.

On the other hand, it doesn't necessarily mean we will get colder summers either, or wetter, dryer ect ect. No one knows what will happen. Records only begin 110 years ago. The history of time shows that the world heats up and cools down.

Global warming is a tax gaining myth. Doesn't exist. People have made a lot of money off it.

The world is millions of years old. Do you really think, what we have done in the last 100 years of driving cars and factories and linx cans would have changed how the earth behaves? Not on your nelly.

I'm with you on that one joe. The biggest pollution created is not man made either. Volcanic eruption is extremely high in pollution and they have been around since the beginning of time.
We are in an ice age now as there is ice at the polar caps. The earth goes through cycles and will continue to do so until the end of time.

Global warming DOES exist. It has happened many times during the life of the earth. It's called clinmate change. For example, the period from the 16th to the early 19th century was called the 'Little Ice Age'. The Thames often froze over during the winter and 'Frost Fairs' were held on the ice.

So, even discounting human intervention, it is quite possible that we experiencing another change in the global climate.

Global warming DOES exist. It has happened many times during the life of the earth. It's called clinmate change. For example, the period from the 16th to the early 19th century was called the 'Little Ice Age'. The Thames often froze over during the winter and 'Frost Fairs' were held on the ice.

So, even discounting human intervention, it is quite possible that we experiencing another change in the global climate.

Lets hope this doesn't happen again any time soon then. How would we cope? The slightest dusting of snow brings this country to a halt ;)

I disagree. We have had a couple of snow falls this winter and it hasn't stopped me delivering parcels to most properties (I drew the line at driving down long snow covered dirt tracks).

However, due to the infrequency of snow in this country most people aren't used to it so are scared by it.

Anyway, Europe has the same problems when it snows, you just don't hear about it. In countries that have regular snow for most of the winter months they can afford to be more prepared and drivers fit winter tyres and carry snow chains, but they still have difficulties. It is the relative rarity that causes us problems which are then blown out of proportion by the media as it is easy copy.

I am guessing that even in Scotland, where they get most of the snow, most of the roads are open most of the time.

Thats not global warming though is it. Thats part of the earths cycle. Un avoidable. ''Global warming'' is due to the green house gasses and the likes.

Global worming is just an excuse to charge more for road tax. Global warming IS just a tax.

I see what your saying, but its inevitable. Not changeable. Therefore, lets embrace it.

The terms global warming and climate change are linked. There is also global cooling. It appears we are entering a period of global warming, regardless of the cause.

Previous temperature changes have been associated with atmosphere changes - more or less carbon dioxide generally. Whether this is the cause or the result of climate change is still not clear IMO.

Ai, agreed OG.

The earth has only really seen man made pollution since about 1750 (back when you were just a wi lad) during the industrial revolution. That is less than 400 years. There is no way that is enough time to change the way the earth behaves. 4 million, maybe, but not 400.

I mean, the third biggest producer of CO2 in the world is Venezuela, due to all the palm oil trees being built in peat.

I am guessing that even in Scotland, where they get most of the snow, most of the roads are open most of the time.

Yup ive seen roads up north that get closed off due to the weather conditions actual gates that say that the road is closed.
then on the other hand theres roads with poles along the sides. theres are around 6' high and its to point out the road when theres snow

Ai, they shut part of the A9 of from time to time. Then the road going from Granton to Rothers/Elgin or Granton to Forres is often shut. They usually shift enough to get one car down though.