General Q & A tubo tuning and development

CharlieVw

Car
2001 Jetta 2.0 AVH
i have a 2.0 jetta and im looking into getting her turboed but iwas wondering if theres any especific that i would have to do to the tranny when i get everything installed...anybody got any tips for me

that would be an option but i want to upgrade my 2.0 instead of doin a swap wouldnt you think thats more work at the same time too

the 2.0 isnt that great to be honest mate, youd spend a hell of a lot of money for not mucg bang. pick up a BAM or AMK 1.8t engine and drop it in. youll also need to change the hubs to accommodate bigger brakes.

ether of those engines mapped even on US petrol (gas) should still see around 260bhp
all that would be needed is clocks and keys matched to the new immobiliser in the ECU.

maybe $2500 ,dunno what the K04 engines go for over there, and some beer tokens against.

strengthing the block
lower compression pistons
con rods
exhaust manifold
turbo
injectors
MAF
MAP sensor

ok so it seems that it would be an extreme amount of work turbo my 2.0 so instead of spending 3500.00 on that i should do an engine swap with a 1.8t. so ok can you guys please help me out could you guys tell me everything that i would bneed for a complete engine swap i know i need the tranny to go with it and maf so what else? im desprately trying to uprade my Vw

PGarner is the VW man to obey.

(Sorry, Paul, but you are so knowledgeable, precise and accurate that I simply had to nominate your as project manager).

The 2.0 eight valve engine was fitted in the mid-late 90s Golf GTi models. Driven several of 'em.

I actually liked it in some ways, for example(s) - its utterly linear and smooth torque delivery. The falldown was the overall lack of the stuff. Not right for a car with a GTi badge.

It was pretty refined as well, but the 1.8T units are even better. In truth I'd rate them as being amongst some of the finest 4 cylinder petrol engines made.

thanks mate
cool.gif

needed for the 1.8

engine with turbo
engine loom
gearbox
ecu
somebody with vagcom and vagtacho to code the ECU to the clock
intercooler and plumbing
exhaust

that should be the basics but extras that would be good

suspension - in not already uprated
hubs - these allow the carriers for the larger brakes to be fitted. fit new wheel bearing 1st ;)