Fuel Prices and the recession

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Would the recession be over if fuel prices were dropped back down to a reasonable level?

I am not sure of the figures but the government lost out on 3billion L of oil sale in 2010. That was due to the price hike.

They then went on to lose X amount in £ with the loss of sales. Therefore, had they have kept the price at around £1.30, they would have made more money on the tax generated by the fuel.

This is surly day one, lesson one economics. Supply and demand.

I'd like to see the average price drop by about 15p a litre, surely they could manage that?

15p is a good start. The price was around 65p-80p for years. Then they went above £1. Because no one protest, they kept rasing the price about 10p a year for 5 years. To where we are at now.

I wonder how hard it would be to run a diesel on veg oil?? :confused:

Not very, one of my chaps runs his call out van on chip shop oil without any problems or issues at all ;)

Have been looking into it. You can run close to 100% used cleaned oil. You just need to add x amount white spirit into it. Not sure of figures. There are many sites offering to help, from what I can see, all offer different ideas.

Single tank
Dual Tank
Pure Veg oil/splash of diesel
Pure Veg oil/ small amount of white spirit left for a week.

Any ideas Mr T9??? What does your mate use?

Lesson two - in a free market economy the value of something is determined by the amount someone is prepared to pay for it.

Not on a "commodity" though....which let's face it fuel is for most. If bread was £3 a loaf people would still buy it out of necessity to eat. A crude example yes but it's more to illustrate a point.

Without fuel I couldn't get to work so I'd have to buy it even at say £5 a litre or not go to work.

Not on a "commodity" though....which let's face it fuel is for most. If bread was £3 a loaf people would still buy it out of necessity to eat. A crude example yes but it's more to illustrate a point.

Without fuel I couldn't get to work so I'd have to buy it even at say £5 a litre or not go to work.

Yeah, I can see what your saying. But your fortnightly ''full tank'' drive that you may do (I know I did when the Evo was on the road) would be more like a yearly drive.

Oh, and bread isn't that far off lol. £1.80 is the most I have seen it for :amazed:

Have been looking into it. You can run close to 100% used cleaned oil. You just need to add x amount white spirit into it. Not sure of figures. There are many sites offering to help, from what I can see, all offer different ideas.

Single tank
Dual Tank
Pure Veg oil/splash of diesel
Pure Veg oil/ small amount of white spirit left for a week.

Any ideas Mr T9??? What does your mate use?

I shall ask him tomorrow.

Cheers T9, Just had a quick flick just now and bookmarked page. Just back from work.

I believe the ''settling'' process can be sped up to about 1 week by adding white spirit. Ill have a good look, because I think I can get a good amount of used oil from a place I know.

Cheers.

Cheers T9, Just had a quick flick just now and bookmarked page. Just back from work.

I believe the ''settling'' process can be sped up to about 1 week by adding white spirit. Ill have a good look, because I think I can get a good amount of used oil from a place I know.

Cheers.

Local chippy? ;)

Don't forget, if you wish to stay legal, to declare to the relevant authority that you are using cooking oil as a fuel. In order to use it on the highway network legally you have to pay the relevant duties on it.

However, as these are, mostly, derived from the base cost of the fuel, it works out a lot cheaper than conventional fuel and you don't risk having your car confiscated!

I thought that is what he meant. But at what time, did i say I wasn't going to inform the authorities?

Of course I will. Its still only quarter of the price of diesel.

Dont take it so seriously mate I was only mucking about :)
Keep an eye out at the supermarkets for offers on cooking oil too

Selling for 20p a litre on the sly you can see why they are drumming up so much business.
If the government were not such rob dogs then this would not go on.
They need to stop taxing the fuel so heavily which is killing our businesses and get money in by other means.
Top of the list for me would be cutting benefits to an absolute minimum for people who can't be arsed to work. Might put a stop to all the illegal immigrants coming here and claiming benefits as it would no longer be such a big attraction for them.
But no!! The hard honest workers are the ones who foot the bill for all these wasters

The lengths some people go to!

Make up your mind government! One minuet your are all green, the next you are against bio diesel. Surely that is a good thing as it is saving our oil fields??? :confused:

Yeah, steeling it is bad, but come on, I am not going to lose a single nights sleep over the treasury losing £25m a year from lost tax. I have bigger things to worry about. Like wether lidls branded shreddies will taste the same?

Sorry to quote you waynne, I'm not sure why I quoted yours lol. Rant not at you!! :blink1: