Fuel Economy Warning

dptuning

Car
Ford Focus TDCi
Dear All,

Just a quick one to let you know of a problem I am experiencing and to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

I have a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI and I am doing about 15000 miles per annum so I thought that I would get a tuning box to increase my fuel economy.

A DPT unit was recommended to me by a company called Diesel Power Tuning. They assured me, that I would get 8-10% improvement in fuel performance on the economy setting. I thought this was good so I bought it through one of their registered fitters.

After a few fills, I compared to economy to pre installation. Before the box went in I was getting about 51 mpg. After installation I was getting about 52 mpg.

I went back to the installer and the instruction they passed on from Diesel Power Tuning was to do 3 fuel tank fill tests without the tuning box fitted and then another 3 fills with it fitted again. The results were the same.

It was then realised that the unit was fitted with "out of the box" settings and not the economy settings. This was rectified and I performed another 3 fill test. The economy went upto around 52.5 mpg. I woping 3% increase.

I then contacted Diesel Power Tuning and complained. They contacted my installer with new settings. After a 3 fill test the economy went down to 52 mpg.

I then asked for my money back as the unit did not perform as to their assurances. The salesman asked "Does your car work?", I answered "Yes", to which he replied, "Then the unit works."

So let this be a warning to anyone buying a unit from Diesel Power Tuning.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

I haven't had this kind of problem but I've never bothered with tuning 'boxes'.

A custom ECu remap is a better place to be looking for TDCi performance in my opinion and experience. Especially with Euro IV and Euro V emissions control systems (which include DPFs) a tuning box can really mess up the filter regeneration cycles.

Last edited:
I was never told that this could be an issue. Typical policy of a sell, sell, sell company that doesn't backup its claims.

If it was purchased by mail order then you have a bit more protection than if you personally picked up the goods - generally a 30 day no quibble refund for any reason.

The sale of goods act is still your friend though - have a read through. If the goods are not "as described" or of "merchantable quality" you are entitled to a full refund.

Don't be fobbed off. Legally they have to refund you if the goods were not as described.