focus st170

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Hi I've just bought a 53 plate ford focus st170 but am finding it hard to get bits for it. I wanted splitfire plugs and wires but can't find any to fit. Any ideas as to what else I can do instead?

Try the NGK Quad electrode or even the NGK 'IX' plug - the effect is similar. If you sign up to the forum - you will find some other st170 owners in the Ford section and it'll be worth asking them also.

how will changing the plugs affect performance? will it make the enging any more free revving or is that just a characteristic of the duratec? i got an st 170 myself its a great car, handles superb and is quick where its useful, ie 40-90 odd.
also do you know of a good brake upgrade?
cheers
tim

A good plug gives a strong spark and helps get the flame front set up correctly in the cylinder - the thinner the electrode the better. But to be honest their is not a great deal of difference between a high performance plug and a fresh OEM plug.

Brake conversions = are you thinking just pads and disks or are you looking to get a much larger brake disk and upgrade to a 4/6 pot? EBC pads are pretty good - greenstuff generally for the road.

PS: NICE TO HAVE YOU ALONG TO THE SITE AS WELL!

hi, thanks for the welcome.

i was thinking about just upgrading the pads, i heard that greenstuff pads give off less brake dust as well as improving braking which would be a nice side effect. cleaning dust off my alloys aint too fun.... is this true?

if i did decide to go for bigger discs and pots, which would be any good? and how much could i expect to pay?

cheers
tim

Price varies a lot but a bigger disk will help braking a lot. I loved my Greenstuff pads - great stopping power and less dust (there is still some but a weekly job of cleaning turns into a monthly job!)