Focus ST170 issues...

stu74

Hi,

I have just picked up an 04 ST170 and am desperatley dissapointed with its performance, had trouble keeping up with a S reg mondeo today! The car seems to struggle at low speeds not quite mis-firing but a bit of a splutter and flat out just doesn't seem to the 170BHP it's claimed? Am I being overly criticle or does it seem it needs some work???

Any ideas

Cheers

Stu
:(

have a diagnostic done. try and find a local mechanic that can scan cheaply ( vw cost around £90 for a scan, my mechanic does it for £25. )
sounds like a sensor is misreading to the engine. maybe the maf sensor would be a good place to start. look at your airbox and disconnect the 1st wiring plug after it. shouldnt be too far away from it. this will cause the car to run in a standard map rather than a, using the term i thinks closest, 3D map. the engine will run using a standard set of variables rather than taking into account the air flow, air temp etc.

other thing might be the lamba sensor in the cat miss reading.

A good diagnostic scan should show up, just make sure your using a trusting mechanic and someone that knows the software. for instance a dirty maf will not show up as a fault but if you check the readings out you would notice they are lower

Thanks 4 the info, much appreciated, I now have it booked in for a diagnostic and power run!

Cheers

Stu

Quick update.......Diagnostic now completed and its seems to be a faulty sensor on the airflow meter, so now booked in 4 repair, fyi the 0-60 time was around the 13 sec mark so well off the claimed time but I guess this faulty sensor may be the culprit! Thanks 4 the advice though, much appreciated.:)

it quite a common problem on newer cars. especially if youve had a induction kit of oiled panel filter. the oil comes off and stick to the maf so it gives faulty readings. they can be cleaned but its better to get them swapped.

the 13 seconds is a bit worring what should it be around the 8-9 second ?