Flooded roads - survival tips

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
There seems to be a lot of flooding around.

What tips do you have to survive on flooded roads?

1) Keep engine revs high and steady, stalling with the exhaust submerged in water is a sure fire way to kill the engine.
2) Clear the brakes after driving through water by lightly pressing the brake pedal.
3) Don't attempt to drive through water when you don't know how deep it goes.
4) Cold deep water can crack a hot engine block, avoid floods whenever possible.

Are the roads flooded where you are and do you have any survival tips or would you like to make any comments on mine?

Wade thru to check depth as well as subsidence and submerged objects.
If deep but not too deep place a tarp/coat/bag over the radiator grille
Drive on the crown of the road as it should be less deep there.
Use a low gear at a steady low speed and DO NOT use/depress the clutch.
Follow closely in the wake of a large truck/lorry as it will create a bow wave and lower the depth behind for a few yards before returning back to full depth.
DO NOT attempt to drive thru deep fast flowing water as it can sweep you off the road into a deep waterway.

Wade thru to check depth as well as subsidence and submerged objects.
If deep but not too deep place a tarp/coat/bag over the radiator grille
Drive on the crown of the road as it should be less deep there.
Use a low gear at a steady low speed and DO NOT use/depress the clutch.
Follow closely in the wake of a large truck/lorry as it will create a bow wave and lower the depth behind for a few yards before returning back to full depth.
DO NOT attempt to drive thru deep fast flowing water as it can sweep you off the road into a deep waterway.

How deep is too deep?

How deep is too deep?
About an inch for the evoque driver who drove at me and made me swerve a few weeks ago:mad:

Sadly this was not the first time I've encounted a 4x4 driving on the wrong side of the road trying to avoid a puddle!
I really don't get the mindset of these 4x4 owners! What goes through there mind's?