Ever reducing accidents?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Road safety campaigners are always going on about reducing accidents. This seems quite a good thing until you realise that they are planning to promote speed cameras/traffic calming (or congestion makers).

With the ever increasing number of cars on our roads do you think it is inevitable that the accident rate will start to go up again?

Surely you can't keep bringing down the accident rate with increasing numbers of road users.

How much of the road safety measures do you feel actually cause accidents?

Most accidents I deal with involve some idiot not looking before pulling out of a junction or parking space, or giving way to the left not the right at roundabouts. People reversing into parked cars or stationary objects. All very low speed stuff.

I work for a major (I mean major) accident management company in the Uninsured Loss Recovery department. Very few of the thousands upon thousands of cases we deal with are at any sort of speed.

Whilst I agree that driving at stupid speeds is dangerous and recklessly puts the lives of others at risk, it's not the be all and end all one stop shop cause of every accident ever, like the government and "road safety" campaigners want us all to believe.

yeah of course accidents are going to go up with more cars on the road its going to give a higher chance of anything happening.

but what are they classing as an accident ?

2 cars reversing into each other at slow speeds in a carpark sub 5 mph, having a blow out on the motorway and crashing into the central reservation / hard shoulder or a 80mph head on crash.
to me all these class as accidents yet its only the last one that has to do with speed