Ever have one of those days?

McCrash

Tuner
Car
Too many to mention
Had a fella come in to me today in an 05 TDCi Mondeo. "My car needs a driveshaft Baz, there's one in the boot, can you throw it in for me?"

Sure I thought, half an hours work and a handy tenner. Put the car on the lift and took the old drive out. The one he had brought me was worse than the one that was in the car so I spent about 2 hours trying to source another. Also, there was no oil in the gearbox, had a look at the other drive and it was covered in oil. Seal completely gone. Anyway, told him he needed the seal, he said he would get one later, get the car bodged up for now. Stuck the drive in, tightened everything back up and went to put oil in the box. Couldn't find my suction pump anywhere. All I could put my hands on was a 10mm syringe so you can imagine how long it took me to put over 3 pints of oil in.

Finally, I'm finished! Took the car for a test drive, the flywheel rattled like a milk bottle half full of nails and the diff was whining like an abandoned puppy.

A simple driveshaft change has now turned into a box out job but I suppose you can't win 'em all!

These things happen! On the upside you'll sometimes get a long job that turns out to be a quick 5 minute one!