Evans Waterless Coolant.

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I have been debating with myself for some while whether to use this stuff. I am now convinced it is the way to go.

A friend has a Rover P5 fitted with a Cleveland 351 lump.

The only issue he has is overheating when in traffic. Whenever he goes to the Chelsea Cruise and hits the traffic on the South Circular the needle zooms into the red and he waits for something to go bang.

He has now filled up with Evans and all heating problems have evaporated. Needle stays well below the red, even in stationary traffic.

Yes, I know, but it can take me a while :)

How much heavier than water is it?

One serious problem with waterless coolant is that it's flammable. Water, however, isn't.
The idea is to keep it in the engine, don't forget petrol is also flammable and no one worries about pouring that into the car.

The idea is to keep it in the engine, don't forget petrol is also flammable and no one worries about pouring that into the car.

But the petrol is conveyed by steel lines designed for that purpose. Coolant is routinely conveyed by rubber hoses which are not.

But the petrol is conveyed by steel lines designed for that purpose. Coolant is routinely conveyed by rubber hoses which are not.

Most fuel systems have some rubber pipe in them (conections to filter/carbs/fuel rail etc).

As long as you use pipes/hoses designed for the liquid being conveyed there is no problem. Car cooling pipes are designed for their proposed use so there isn't a problem here, as far as I am aware.

Leaks in conventional cooling systems are normally the result of poor maintenance. The high pressures in a water based system will find any weak points resulting in either a seep or a spray leak. (As an aside, 1lb of pressure = approx 3 degrees of temp. This pressure is needed in a water based system).

Evans is flammable only if it is in a mist or fine spray. As Evans filled systems are not pressurised there can be no spray type leaks. Also, anyone using this stuff will not be using old pipes or poorly maintained systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PykrgzWPQ

Last edited:
With regard to flammability, just found this in a response by Evans to a competitor's website (no-rosion) rubbishing Evans product:

Towards the end of their report NR refer to the issues of flammability. Neither 50-50 water-antifreeze/coolant mixtures nor Evans WEC are classified as flammable and both have very high auto-ignition temperatures. However, under abnormal conditions not intended or predicted to occur by engine designers, both 50-50 and Evans coolants pose an exceedingly small risk of fire. There are a number of reported incidents of engines catching fire with 50-50 coolants sited as the fuel source.

Specifically, 50-50 coolant under pressure has sprayed out from a burst hose etc. on to a red-hot (glowing) exhaust manifold, where the water element is instantaneously evaporated leaving behind neat ethylene glycol. As detailed in the attached report
the odds of such an event occurring are considered too remote to be considered as a quantifiable risk, or for insurance companies to adjust any premiums.

Evans coolants pose a smaller risk of fire in comparison to 50-50 coolant, as they will not
spray under pressure and are far less lightly to cause a burst hose.

In comparison to the other fluids found within an engine compartment, neither 50-50 nor Evans coolants come close to the risks associated ;for fuel, lube-oil, brake or clutch fluid and electrical shorts.

Ok, just weighed about 15ltrs on the bathroom scales and it comes out at 3 stone 2 lbs

Thanks

Assuming 15 litres at 20.45kg = 1.36kg/l
Water is 1kg/l so an increase of 36%!

However, with no pressure we don't need a large header tank, saving aluminium and fluid which will offset some of this extra weight. I still think that it is the way to go.

That's fair enough. I do accept it's probably not remotely as flammable as petrol - I've never handled the stuff nor tried to ignite it.