Waterless car wash spray.

Dan2587

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford fiesta zetec s
Just seen a waterless spray advertising on tv saying just spray on and wipe the dirt off.Wanted to know peoples opinions on this stuff. Does it work or just a gimmick.Personally i think you need to wash dirt off as you may scratch paintwork rubbing in the dirt and grit.

This kind of stuff has been around for ages. In 1988 I tested a German product called Zoig, which professed to do exactly this job. Waterless cleaning.

It worked beautifully and also provided a deep polymer shine which lasted for ages, even on a midnight blue Fiat which I using at the time but the effort involved is no less than that involved in traditional wet cleaning and tarting up. The real value of these products is in showroom cars (motorshow examples. let's say) which cannot be traditionally washed wet without taking them outside.

I currently have a little bottle of Prolong waterless wash and shine which is great and works well.

These products will not damage paintwork if used as prescribed but with a very dirty car you'll spend days going at it in tiny little work patches.

By the time it's all done you'll be starting over again. Much, really, like painting the Humber Bridge :)

there are waterless wash kits out there. and i dont think i would touch the one on the TV.
however they will scratch the paintwork on dirty cars.

saying that most people wash their cars with brushes and sponges which will sratch the car anyway.

id stay well clear off them myself unless, as HDI has said, its a showroom car thats never seen dirt. even then i would just use a bottle of quick detailer

The vital thing if your using this stuff is a cloth that pulls the dirt away from the paint. A lambswool mitt does a good job or a deep microfibre cloth.

I prefer to use lots of water and lubricate the scratchy bits away from the paint.