Driving through tunnels

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We get to go throught the Dartford tunnel crossing quite often. Now considering it is under a river it is quite disconcerting to see water trickling down from the ceiling in places!

There are some insanely long tunnels in Europe, Switzerland I think holds the record for the longest but I'm ready to stand corrected on this.

What is the longest tunnel you've driven through? Do you enjoy tunnels? Do you turn off the vents and switch to recirculate?

How often do you go through tunnels?

I love tunnels! Last Sunday we had a convoy of six MG ZS's on the way to Duxford for a show. The traffic got backed up as we were 'playing'. :amuse:

Rules are windows down, stereo switched off and enjoy :bigsmile:

My commute can easily take me via the new tunnel on the A3 at Hindhead, I'll let you know how that is once the traffic has calmed down abit. Never driven across europe so can't comment.

There is the Chesaspeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel crossing Virginia and Delaware that spans 17.6 miles. Not done that as yet but will the next time I go there.

Only really go through the Dartford Tunnel and the Limehouse Link in East London on a regular basis, great acoustics btw - the beast sounds awesome when I blip the throttle in the Limehouse Link :)

I love tunnels but don't go through them enough. When I do, I like to slow down a little, wind down the windows and then floor it!

I imagine T9's beast sounds pretty sweet whilst tunnel blasting.

I think the Hindhead one will be swarming with TVRs as they are quite common down this way. I can see Racing Green from my office, they do some stunning motors in there. Pretty sure they'll be using that for test drives as they tend to use the Hogs Back alot.

No tunnels round here, proper gay. Have been through Dartford on the way to Dover though, and there's plenty of tunnels in France. Closest one round here is Queensway in Brum, but that's like 15-20minutes away and not very long.

go throu the dartford tunnel a bit in the trans am that always sounds good
or the medway tunnel for a quick blast

but i know what you meen about the water is not sort of thing you want to see

The old Dartford tunnel has been seeping for years, no need for concern :)

I am looking forward to 'testing' the Elan through these next year.