Driving over bridges makes me weird out

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Whenever I drive over bridges, particularly if they are over water and I can see the water I feel really nervous.

I even move into a middle lane if I can just in case I end up going over the edge.

Is this just me or do you get the same sensation? Does it also feel similarly wierd when you are driving over a level railway crossing?

rofl i love driving over hump back bridges, when i have my scenic me and the lads at college got it up to 50 over one and im pretty sure is took off a little as the revs went to the redline :lol: it didnt half scare me, now i just take them average and get a nice life out of seat hehe

you seen that new level crossing advert? its in like 3 parts

1st part guy stops,diff advert, 2nd part train comes, diff advert, 3rd part guy looks both ways and starts to go across (weaving through the barriers) just as he is near the track the trains goes flying by, made me jump a bit

Little country lane bridges are not too bad. I'm thinking more of the big expansion bridges like the one over the Dartford crossing and the one itno Cornwall near Conwy etc...

Little country lane bridges are not too bad. I'm thinking more of the big expansion bridges like the one over the Dartford crossing and the one itno Cornwall near Conwy etc...

X2

The Dartford crossing bridge is not a pleasant driving experience for me, can't wait to get too the otherside :amuse:

hah - I'd never even thought about this. Doesn't bother me at all, not even crossed my mind. What's up with you lot? :p

Tha'ts the QE bridge isn't it? I love going over that, it just climbs higher & higher! :lol:

The only thing that makes me nervous are country lanes that plummet down to a steep valley on one side. The road that runs up the side of Carding Mill Valley in Church Stretton is a good example that I never enjoy driving down as there is no barricade seperating the car from an exciting detour down the side of the valley, it's worserer when your the passenger though! :lol:

I think it's safe to say you'd better avoid the Millau Viaduct in France, at 245m at it's highest point & 1.5 miles long you'd probably be a little unhinged after crossing it! :lol:

Click!

553ce4e5.jpg

http://www.leviaducdemillau.com/english/index.html

Wow a bridge that goes into a tunnel, that's awesome!

What if... You've got an Audi R8 Spyder V10 with the hood down, you go through the tunnel in an explosion of sound & emerge out on the bridge with glorious blue skies & a great view! I'm sure the bridges wouldn't freak you out too much then.
thth390_crazy_driver.gif

b9.jpg

You'd need a change of trousers for this road in Equador, I did, sat in the back of a bus with the edge of the road and the bottom of the valley visible out of the window!

Whenever I do big bridges like the QE2 I'll have a what if moment, what if there was a huge gust of wind right now that swept me off the bridge.

Open the windows & start flapping. :bigsmile:

View attachment 959

You'd need a change of trousers for this road in Equador, I did, sat in the back of a bus with the edge of the road and the bottom of the valley visible out of the window!

The only way you could make that worse was if it was raining! :blink:

cant stand big bridges, just find myself automatically speeding up to get over them as fast as possible - the word freak comes to mind but i see that i'm in good company! They have a flat bridge in Vietnam that was built by the American GI's in the 70's, design capacity is around 50000 cars per day max - its now serving 200000 per day upwards. Often their is a traffic jam on one side so you can be stuck in the middle of the bridge - due to the design it has metal teeth across certain points that move in and out - whenever a large truck goes past on the other side it moves up and down, brown trousers every time!

Whenever I drive over bridges, particularly if they are over water and I can see the water I feel really nervous.

I even move into a middle lane if I can just in case I end up going over the edge.

Is this just me or do you get the same sensation? Does it also feel similarly wierd when you are driving over a level railway crossing?

Could one be led to believe that you suffer from gephyrophobia?

;) ;) ;) ;)

Just airing my ignorance. :D

Could one be led to believe that you suffer from gephyrophobia?

;) ;) ;) ;)

Just airing my ignorance. :D

That's not ignorance at all. You're simply asking a question.

Any phobia can be described as an irrational fear. The one you mention is very precisely related to bridges.

A rational fear is not generally considered to be a phobia.

I have a fear of swimming pools (even large and widely used public ones). My fear is of the drains and grates and includes any water inlet or outlet that is below the surface.

Irrational fear - yes, so therefore it's a phobia. Simply because those things present no threat to me whatsoever. But I am terrified of them. I cannot even offer a rational explanation as to why I am terrified.

I'm still very wary of bridges but I can now use the lanes on the outside edge. It is still much worse when I'm over water though.