Driving in other countries - love it or hate it?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever driven in other countries?
Do you love it :love:?
or do you hate it :mad:?

I've done a bit of driving in France and I must say the roads are much better than in the UK.

The general standards of driving in the UK seem to be higher than on the continent. (This is somewhat in decline though IMHO!)

nope cant say ive ever driving in another country and if greece is anything to go by them i dont think i will. over there it seems right of way goes to the biggest

Love it roads are better and the traffic seems to flow a lot better until you get to the tolls though especially in Italy around naples

I've driven in France a few times and don't have any problems with being on the 'wrong' side, although I'd prefer to be using a LHD car. Roads are incomparable - far superior to those in the UK.

I've also driven LHDs in Britain - that's quite disturbing for the first few miles but you get the hang of it. First LHD I drove was an ENOURMOUS imported chevvy pickup. Ridiculous 6 litre or something engine but with a manual 'box! It even had a little light to help the Americans know when to change gear!!

Oz does indeed. So does New Zealand.

We should have followed the rest of the world when the changeover happened in the 1960's. There's no way we can follow now - too many cars on the road.

Never driven abroad. But I've always thought a road trip through Europe would be a good idea. Even with the petrol prices!

The fuel prices are lower everywhere than in the UK :(

When in France I tend to go for super unleaded. I like Frances Dry/Wet motorway speeds - it seems to be a sensible idea to get people to slow up in the wet and let them go a bit faster in the dry (80/120kmh I beleive).

Oz does indeed. So does New Zealand.

We should have followed the rest of the world when the changeover happened in the 1960's. There's no way we can follow now - too many cars on the road.

whitehaven trialed driving on the right hand side of the road for a couple of weeks. this was 3 or 4 years ago and never heard of it since

How'd they enforce that then? There is a reason we drive on the right - something to do with horse and cart drivers sitting on the right so they can pass each other!

Why not just let each driver decide for himself which side of the road we drive on? :lol:

As I live so near the port of Dover I frequently see our continental friends driving on the wrong sides of our roads. (One went round a blind right hand bend on the right in town at 30 mph :eek:! )

not sure i know they had cones set up at the entry points into the town to swap you across. but other than what i seen on the news never heard anything