Does idling really damage an engine

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I've heard lots if people saying that idling and engine to warm it up does lots of damage. Others say it is fine to idle a car and on cold mornings I see lots of cars idling to clear the ice from the windscreen.

So what damage is done if any by idling and engine and is it really all that bad?

Idling itself does not do any damage at all. The bigger problem is switching off an engine before it's fully warmed up. A moderatey warm engine is full of acidic gases. These dissolve in the damp air inside the lukewarm engine and remain there after switch off, gradually corroding engine parts..

If you idle your engine for 10 minutes and then take it for a 200 mile journey all the water vapour will have evaporated and so no damage willbe done as a result of the 10 minute idle period.

What really does stuff an engine is driving it aggresively when it's stone cold.

Avoid short journeys as HDI says and you will be ok. The quickest way to warm up the engine is to drive the car or at least rev the engine.

Avoid short journeys as HDI says and you will be ok. The quickest way to warm up the engine is to drive the car or at least rev the engine.

Yes, it is the quickest way. I STILL advocate letting it idle for 30 seconds or so before revving or driving anywhere at all. Even in summer the engine oil needs a chance to get under way. This precious time gives the oil a chance to get moving properly before loading up bearings, cylinder bores etc.

You can count it as the amount of time you need to fasten seat belt, select music etc.

Agreed, 30 seconds is nothing in real terms. A car left standing for a few days needs this 30 seconds even more than a regularly driven car.

One of the main problems is that some cars inherently have low oil pressure at idle, which is obviously not a good thing.
Millions of cars around the world spend hours every day at idle with no dire consequences, other than to the alleged global warming scam.
Make sure that all your levels, coolant and oil in this scenario are good and you should be fine.
From cold the idle speed should be regulated by an idle control valve/circuit or similar anyway, which will give a higher idle from cold start.
Keeping the idle speed slightly higher will give a better oil pressure where it's necessary.