Do you think they will ever ban car modifications

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
In some countries there is very little you can do to your car. Many seem to really frown on car modifications and they have pretty stiff penalties for modifying your car including impounding and destroying the car.

This country (The UK) has a good tradition of car modification, kit cars and customised cars. Do you think they will ever ban modifications? Are they clamping down in your area on modified cars?

Would this be a good or bad thing if mods were banned?

I can't see them being able to ban them totally within a 10 year period cuz there are too many older cars on the road and would cause havock of people not affording to drive a newer car.

But on the other hand there is a good way round it. If the laws on modifying are braught in but the regulations of factory cars can remain the same, then all car companies have to do is offer several different options or "optional extras" that wont have to be classed as mods.

I dont have to claim my Vauxhall 17" wheels cuz they were an optional extra and therefor no need for the insurance to add them to the policy. This is why I always go for standard wheels but bigger and just say they were on it when it left the factory lol and bobs ya uncle.

I can't see them being able to ban them totally within a 10 year period cuz there are too many older cars on the road and would cause havock of people not affording to drive a newer car.

But on the other hand there is a good way round it. If the laws on modifying are braught in but the regulations of factory cars can remain the same, then all car companies have to do is offer several different options or "optional extras" that wont have to be classed as mods.

I dont have to claim my Vauxhall 17" wheels cuz they were an optional extra and therefor no need for the insurance to add them to the policy. This is why I always go for standard wheels but bigger and just say they were on it when it left the factory lol and bobs ya uncle.

I'd be careful with that one. It is possible for insurers to check the exact factory gate spec of the car.

seeing as we are experiencing an unprecedented crackdown on civil libertys in the name of health and saftey i can see it happening. especially seeing as the current establishment seems to be introducing more and more stealth taxes, it will probably initially come in the shape of some kind of surplus charge on your road tax, (in addition of course to the new carbon emmision tax), untill someone decides that they are too dangerous then introduce a massive fine for having them installed.

I guess that modding is a form of counter - culture, and any establishment doesnt appreciate people not doing exactly whats expected of them. plus there is the whole boy - racer/ hoodie/ joyrider stigma attached to it, through ignorance and a lack of experience the timid individuals in charge fearing some imaginary plague of fast car crime will be eager to remove our ability to start one. (even though the cars we see revving and blaring in the tesco local car park are often unmodifed "shopping trolley" cars).

Although the modding scene is a fairly social class- free zone ( modded lambos share the raceways and drag strips with little fords ), there is alas a small sect of middle england who would like nothing better than to see us all behind bars, i was occasionally turned away when trying to park my old ford, usually by middle aged couples with nothing else to do, reason being we looked like "boy racers" and weren't welcome in thier road. the typical middle england NIMBY attitude, uurgh! :mad:

we will have our treasured mods for ten, maybe twenty years more, but once the mediocraty and the burgeoning civil service wielding the sinfully boring dull blade of health & saftey truly rule the country kiss goodbye to them.

but remember its for your own good.

What's so disappointing is that Civil Liberties does nothing for law abiding people. How I hate the word citizens. Therefore I shall not use it.

It is a problem in this country;- the dis-establishment of what was once a democratic state.

The current government would do very well do disabuse itself of the top down-state first attitude it has and start dealing with society directly.

Apparently the government's chief medical officer is suggesting that butter (yes, milk fat derived stuff that mankind has consumed for centuries) should be banned. Why?

This is exactly typical of what you say. Do what you're told - we know best what's best for you.

I do not like it one bit.

It's a dangerous scenario. I suspect that when the secret police force is finally established it will be my door that's amongst the first upon which they knock in a bid to stem the ensuring political protest.

banning butter - dreamers - i'd buy a cow and milk it myself and then do whatever needs done to turn it into butter. idiots that come out with rubbish like this should be SHOT! They dont have to eat butter, fine, but why should we endure their whims - am sure with a bit of research i can come up with evidence to show that lettuce is bad for the health.

sorry, back on topic. we are not all children, we can make our own decisions and [the majority] of people have brains that can be utilised therefore banning this, that and the next thing makes people want it more.

i think it would be a very bad thing for modifications to be band. this is in effect denying us the right to be individuals. We are not automatons. We live in a supposed free society and the move the govt of the country moves away from this the higher are the chances of a civil rebellion - and i would willingly be at the front.

wed be screwed if they banned butter - we were making around 70% of the uks butter a few years ago.

banning modifications could be a hard one i can see one side of it where person x has tried to do something himself and has ended up with something dangerous due to inexperiance or bad workmanship. but plenty of cars are modified without issues its more the boy/girl racer image that gives modified cars a poor reputation

In some countries there is very little you can do to your car. Many seem to really frown on car modifications and they have pretty stiff penalties for modifying your car including impounding and destroying the car.

This country (The UK) has a good tradition of car modification, kit cars and customised cars. Do you think they will ever ban modifications? Are they clamping down in your area on modified cars?

Would this be a good or bad thing if mods were banned?
Ban car mods? Not if they want my vote~!~!:sad2: