Do you like start stop technology

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on Start Stop technology? Does it actually save fuel or does the constant starting burn up just as much as you would have saved?

I've driven a few Audi's with Start Stop and it works very well, it even works out that if you are in traffic which is continually starting and stopping and goes back to being a normal car, unless the delays are substantial.

This got me thinking would it be worth me turning my engine off whenever I get to a traffic queue or traffic light? Would I actually save much fuel by doing so?

SCOFF!

Can't be doing with it. Not my cup of tea. Couldn't give a stuff about saving .1 of a L over the course of the year. Id rather waste it and have a car that pissed eco nuts off then have one that makes em happy.

Im sick of having to save fuel. I want to waste it. Spend it. Use it all up. Only when it is gone, can we discover a new type of fuel.

Im sure there is about 20 alternatives of man made fuel, all sat in a lab somewhere, not allowed to be used as is costs the same amount as a dead cats fee bitten skin to manufacture. Therefore, there would be controll by the government on tax.

I can't stand it! My mums mondeo has stop/start and when I occasionally drive it I have turn it off.
I can't help thinking that all that stop staring can't be good for an engine, especially diesels, but I'm sure the manufacturers know what their doing. :D

but I'm sure the manufacturers know what their doing. :D

Oh bless you, if you really think that Loz, then I'm afraid I have some bad news concerning reality to tell you about Santa, the Toothfairy and Christmas! :amuse:

Friend of mine has a Renault Megane with this, and he said it freaked him out in the early days, but he likes it now ;)

Just wait till your in a traffic jam late at night. ''Lights on'', will run the battery down in no time. The engine is then told to stay on if the battery gets to low, but this does nothing for the life of the battery. In cold weather, i'm told, sometimes they don't restart.

Oh bless you, if you really think that Loz, then I'm afraid I have some bad news concerning reality to tell you about Santa, the Toothfairy and Christmas! :amuse:

You take that back! My retirement plans rely on the fact that there's a Toothfairy.
Smiley-Crying.gif

How about this for timing!
Just had a panicked phone call from my mum, she's driving in a contraflow on the M25 & the Mondeo went into limphome mode, it seems she managed to stall the car just as the start/stop was doing it's thing. I told her to pull over when she could & turn the car off & re-start it. It's cleared the fault but she's not happy, I suspect she'll never use the system again!. :lol:

I agree with bbj also i dont think i would feel in control of the car!plus what would happen if you had to move all of a sudden quickly!.Your engine isnt running!!!. Bad idea!.

the wifes yaris has it and tbh it's not intrusive in the slightest so I leave it on. I personally wouldn't buy it as an option but for free it's ok

the wifes yaris has it and tbh it's not intrusive in the slightest so I leave it on. I personally wouldn't buy it as an option but for free it's ok

Is that the very latest Yaris herb? A friend of mine loves this car and is hoping to get one on a personal lease contract with service intervals included.

I agree with bbj also i dont think i would feel in control of the car!plus what would happen if you had to move all of a sudden quickly!.Your engine isnt running!!!. Bad idea!.

On the cars I've used it has started before you even lift the clutch and engage a gear! So there isn't really a delay at all.

Is that the very latest Yaris herb? A friend of mine loves this car and is hoping to get one on a personal lease contract with service intervals included.

No mate this is a 2009 version
and I'll be brutally honest here the car absolutely crap!!

Misses has it and tries to turn it off, but I like it and tell her to keep it on and obviously she does as she is told. The engine is so quiet you can't even hear it turn off or restart and as Waynne says the start it instant as soon as you start to press the clutch. I'm not too bothered about saving every last tiny drip of fuel but as long as it works how it should and isn't intrusive, then why not?

If moving off suddenly is likely to be necessary you'd be sat in first gear, foot on clutch anyway. Therefore, as TN says, the criteria for switch off wouldn't be met and as such would not be an issue.

So if it restarts the instant you go for the clutch pedal I cannot see there being a problem.

Thanks herb, I better warn her as she loves the looks and is blissfully unaware of anything else bless her :rolleyes:

ill elaborate a little more im back home on the pc the reasons i dont like it are the boot space is tiny even with the sliding back seats, for a 1.4 the power is terrible!!! the worst example was driving to alton towers 4 adults in the car and i had to use 1st gear to get up the hills personally i think that is terrible, it idles lumpy, the driving position is fine until you drive the car for more than an hour then it becomes very uncomfortable

just a heads up from my experiences;)

Presumably the driver can over-ride the stop start function.
you can turn it of on the wifes yaris not sure on other makes

My feelings to this is... starter motor manufactures are going to do really well.... Can't be doing them much good :-(

If the whole car and its sub assemblies and components such as starting systems (accumulators - read batteries and starter motors) are designed to cope with the stop start mode of operation then I can't see it as a problem.

If auxilliary coolant pumps and electrically driven oil pumps are used then it's got to be a good thing.

Sometimes I get a feel on this forum that some people see gas guzzling as a positive attribute. Regardless of the costs thus involved.

Driven my Father in Laws new Focus couple times and i'm still nervy of it, doesn't feel natural to have no engine running. I'm still amazed Porsche installed it on there Panamera. What's the point of a V8 soundtrack if it switches off at the lights! :blink: Killjoys :sad2:

I'm still amazed Porsche installed it on there Panamera. What's the point of a V8 soundtrack if it switches off at the lights! :blink: Killjoys :sad2:

Indeed, start stop technology on such a car seems like such a waste to me, I assume it is done to help with emissions! I would hate to see this appearing on an Aston Martin :sad2:

Reducing the emissions of Astons and Ferraris is not really worthwhile. There's so very few on the road compared to the abundance of Astras and Mondeos etc.

It's in the mass market where worthwhile changes can be made.

Personally couldn't give a stuff about stop technology its Hypicritcal technology because at the end of the day the savings it make is still outweighed by the Transit the vehicle made to get to the forecourt you brought it from with every bit flying thousands of miles from factory to factory to be assembled This stuff is as bad as Bio-Diesel if your so concious about fuel and the environmental impact Use the train get shot of the motor

ill elaborate a little more im back home on the pc the reasons i dont like it are the boot space is tiny even with the sliding back seats, for a 1.4 the power is terrible!!! the worst example was driving to alton towers 4 adults in the car and i had to use 1st gear to get up the hills personally i think that is terrible, it idles lumpy, the driving position is fine until you drive the car for more than an hour then it becomes very uncomfortable

just a heads up from my experiences;)

you can turn it of on the wifes yaris not sure on other makes

I live very close to Alton towers, about 5 minutes away, the roads around the park are merciless on a good day. Access really needs to be revised to Alton Towers.

There is too much I can take the mic out of here. I'm not going to start because I'm drunk and I'll get into an argument. But, HDI, I'm on your side! lol :lol:

On the cars I've used it has started before you even lift the clutch and engage a gear! So there isn't really a delay at all.

I did,nt realise it was that quick! i still have old tech stuff on my car,by the time i get to todays tech it will be outdated again!!!!.:lol: