Do you get asked why you drive the vehicle you do?

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
It's a question I get asked quite a lot. OK I admit the rover 75 has an old man image associated to it! But it's cheap enough to run, very comfortable to drive, easy to work on myself when need be, I can get all my tools in the boot (I admit I bought a saloon this time so I don't have to ferry all the paint I will need for the job like I had to do in my estates!) and then even with all my answers I still get the question.
Wouldn't it be easier in a van to wich I reply in a van I could get more stuff in the back but I don't want to, and who turns up at work more comfortable me or you? You can see they sort of get where I'm coming from but don't like to admit it.

So is there any other members that get questioned about there vehicle choice?

My parents don't understand why I have always bought cars with 'so much power'!!! Really?!? My cars are hardly Porsche beaters.

They seem to think that it's immoral to want anything which can just about struggle to 70mph in less that twenty minutes. They'd like to see me in a nice little Vauxhall Agila 1.2 or similar.

Reactions: Teo
My parents don't understand why I have always bought cars with 'so much power'!!! Really?!? My cars are hardly Porsche beaters.

They seem to think that it's immoral to want anything which can just about struggle to 70mph in less that twenty minutes. They'd like to see me in a nice little Vauxhall Agila 1.2 or similar.

The mountain is there to Climb, Not to stand at it's base and only look up! :( The conformists in life will never understand!:rofl:

I often get asked why I drive a 2.0 TDI when I run this site!

I need the torque, but don't want the bills is my usual response!

Hi Teo, you've hit the nail on the head there. Conformists describes them perfectly. And I'm hardly rebellious.

They also seem to forget that I have been driving for twenty eight years and have covered something apporaching 700,000 miles in that time. I am still considered to be a new, young and inexperienced driver !!!

Yes I do get asked this question from time to time, but to be honest with you, not as much as I was expecting it to be.
I try and explain to them in the nicest possible way, that my particular choice of car just happens to tick all the right boxes for me.

Well exactly. If I'd have been that bothered about what others think I'd never had my Vectra GSI, Clio 172 or ZS 180.

We had some good news earlier this week. Our IT function is moving in September, out of the city centre, to our main business site that is a lot nearer for me. Not only will I save 50 quid a month on parking, I'll not necessarily need a diesel again.

So I might shop around and swap the Focus for something a little more interesting. I could cope with the reduced mpg of a nice 6 cylinder petrol and good late model 330 E46 examples are starting to be seriously cheap, 5k gets a very good one these days.

I like the E46s more than the later E90s and F30s. I'd just have to buy cautiously and carefully. E46 330 still has 230bhp which would do quite nicely thank you.

Last edited:
Yes I do get asked this question from time to time, but to be honest with you, not as much as I was expecting it to be.
I try and explain to them in the nicest possible way, that my particular choice of car just happens to tick all the right boxes for me.

Absolutely!!! :D

And to directly quote Old-Git's perfect statement: "Absolutely way too much horsepower is almost enough" |B