A question thats probably been asked hundreds of times.

Miniman

Torque Junkie
Car
Toyota starlet
For my little starlet would it be worth replacing the standard air filter with a K and N panel filter and then modding the airbox with a cold air feed?.

Also what about preventing the said cold air feed from sucking up debris, dirt and insects into the engine, would a little bit of mesh prevent this or is not anything to worry about?.

Im not expecting miracles but im just trying to think of ways to get a teeny weeny bit more poke out of her without affecting my insurence.

Wezzel, if you have to declare all mods what happens if you bought the car second hand - can you claim naivety on this point because a lot of people would not check if a panel filter or the like had been changed on a car for a modified one?

You can pretend you know nothing about it all, pay cheaper premiums.
Tbh, I'm not against people not declaring, it only matters when you crash. If you don't declare just ONE little thing, you are not technically covered and the insurance WONT pay out ;)

Do expect the insurers to contact the previous owner to verify this. If he has not disclosed the modification to you then I suppose liability could rest with the previous owner.

A lot of insurers are getting a more sensible attitude to mods. Most will allow a panel air filter as these are essentially washable replacements of the paper ones!

What engine does your Starlett have?

Its a 1.3 ohc either 12 or 16v not sure without actually taking the cover off and having a look, i wasnt just going to do this without telling the insurers as like waynne said alot of insurers will tolerate this these days.

I was just wondering if this would make any sort of difference before i go phoning up the insurence company and spending money!. If not ill just wait a year or two before i start tinkering about with any sort of car i have :p.

As said before, you must declare everything. It is YOUR responsibility to know the spec of your car, NOT the previous owner's.

In British law ignorance cannot be considered in defence.

You can pretend you know nothing about it all, pay cheaper premiums.
Tbh, I'm not against people not declaring, it only matters when you crash. If you don't declare just ONE little thing, you are not technically covered and the insurance WONT pay out ;)

If it only matters when you crash, why bother with insurance at all (apart from being able to get a tax disc)?

If uninsured, paying for 3rd party's vehicle damage is relatively cheap when compared to the cost of life long medical car for a damaged human, that is where you could be paying out for cheating on your insurance for the rest of your life.

Insurance companies are just that, companies. They have profits to make and dividends to declare. The last thing they want to do is payout claims. If they suspect a car isn't as declared they will go over it with a fine toothed comb looking for ways to not pay out. This is especially the case with 'cheap' insurance deals.

We all think that it isn't going to happen to us, but it does.

Ignorance isn't a defence in law or insurance forms.

Last edited:
You are of course correct in regards to insurance was just raising the point and myself declare all with the insurance company. Was just raising the point as when buying a second or third hand car if some modification has been made that is not completely obvious it would become very sticky when apportioning blame - if it came to that.

Back to the original question. A panel filter will increase the power through the rev range, slightly. I wouldn't worry about flys and things as these would be trapped in the air filter. A cold air feed is always a good idea though. All in I think you will be hard pushed to see another 3-5bhp with a filter alone.

Fair enough, im pretty restricted by insurence costs at the mo until i get a few no claims under my belt so i guess im leaving her standard at the mo, what about lowering the car do you have to inform the insurence companys about this as well (as i know alot of people who havent) or is it only mods that affect engine performance.

nope you need to tell them Everything, as said before the companies will do anything to get out of a payout. realistically you should declare even the small cosmetic items like metal tax disc holder, gear knobs and pedal covers they might not bother but at least youve told them

You are of course correct in regards to insurance was just raising the point and myself declare all with the insurance company. Was just raising the point as when buying a second or third hand car if some modification has been made that is not completely obvious it would become very sticky when apportioning blame - if it came to that.

Unfortunately, apportioning blame is the easy part - the person who filled in and signed the proposal form is responsible :)

Unfortunately, apportioning blame is the easy part - the person who filled in and signed the proposal form is responsible :)

Exactly - and well said.

Insurers do have a legal duty to support 3rd party claims for injury, whether or not the car is as described.

What will happen, however, if you are in such a situation that you're insurer is forced to meet a claim despite you having been dishonest or ignorant is that they might well counter sue you for their loss.

You will also find it very very hard to find anyone willing to insure you subsequent to such a claim against you.

oldgit/HDI all clear, just fishing for info but next time i buy a 2nd hand car (or especially if its 3rd or 4th hand from the auction) will make sure i go over it tooth and nail because a lot of people wouldnt bother especially if it was cheap and just being used as a runabout.