Do drivers slow up as they get older

wyze

Tuner
Car
Polo 1.1
Do you think drivers slow up when they get older. If so why is this?

My thoughts on this are that older drivers are probably as quick overall but take less chances. Is this your experience or do you think differently?

At what age does this sensible im not invincible realisation occur?

What about really old drivers in their 70s and upwards?

yes we do, to some extent.
mainly due to the fact that we take less chances as we have experiance.:toung:

i can still drive fast if i want to and the road conditions allow.

:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

yes after 26 you forget the speed limits and sit at 50 all the time except in town
at 50 you hold 40 all the time incuding towns
at 75 you sit and wait on the bloody bus all day

well for me yes i have slowed down reasons being

1, experience has taught me a few lessons (some stupid and my fault)
2, i have nothing to prove anymore i have had plays with alot of cars over the years most more powerful than what i was driving (and out drove 90% of them)
3, i now have responsibilitys house/wife/daughter
4, i am more conscious if a accident happened while playing i can be held liable

dont get me wrong i still enjoy a spirited drive and will still play with other cars it just depends whether im in the mood

similer here herb its more the thought of anthing bad happening to me. although i dont have a kid yet.
christ im even starting to sit below 85 on the motorway now and dont rag it away from every set of lights with someone sitting beside me now

I think an experienced driver is able to corner and cover distance more quickly and certianly a hell of a lot more safely than a younger less experienced driver.

I think as has been said you don't feel you have anything to prove. Driving becomes more of an "at one with the car" pleasure. Plus you do take fewer risks as you realise that neither you or the car are invincible.

I'm approaching seventy years of age and I haven't found the need to slow up just yet. Experience and practise does work wonders in terms of perception and anticipation.

The important thing is not to drive beyond your own ability, and to recognise the limit of your ability.

Sorry - taking the p... here and abusing literal meanings of words :)

I am indeed approaching 70. As we all are. Except those who are over seventy that is.

I'm actually 39 - so approaching 70 with 31 years left to go before I get there. If indeed, I ever do.

Sorry - taking the p... here and abusing literal meanings of words :)

I am indeed approaching 70. As we all are. Except those who are over seventy that is.

I'm actually 39 - so approaching 70 with 31 years left to go before I get there. If indeed, I ever do.

Thats what I thought.
You confused me for a minute there. :blink:

my nan (r.i.p) used to drive at a steady pace of 90+ M3, and used to laugh when she always wheelspun out of corners. all in a lil' 1.2 auto corsa. it took her 7 years to pass her test, after 70+ lessons and 5/6 tests. she was a legend on the road though.