Dealing with the glare from the road

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When the sun is low and bright and the road is wet you get terrible glare from the road.

This dramatically reduces visibility, have you found an effective way of dealing with this?

Sunglasses just seem to make the glare less bright, you still can't make things out very easily?

So far, these new glasses that I have to wear which has all kinds of coatings on, performs extremely well in the sunlight.

Polarised lenses are the best solution, but you generally can't use them for general usage.

I am wearing progressives (varifocals) since October 2013. I have worn glasses for over 30 years and as soon as I started paying for my own I have invested in top quality lenses and anti-reflection coatings. But, AR coatings CANNOT fix pre-existing glare.

My current pair of glasses have top end Carl Zeiss lenses (CZ Progressive Superb+, formely called CZ GT3DV2). The lenses alone cost me over £160 EACH !!! However, they are incredible. Double aspheric with free form geometry, customised progression corridor to suit my needs on CZ's 1.67 high index material. The CZ coatings are arguably amazing but still will not fix glare from other sources.

The Stig doesn't recommend polarized in his book.
Will have to read book again to find out why.

Polarized lenses can make LCD instruments impossible to see. And glare can come from sources other than horizontal surface reflections.