Dealing with Ram raiders

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever been on a road, particularly a motorway, when a car comes up to you extremely quickly and then jams their brakes on at the last minute?

What do you do when confronted with this aggresive driving style?

Do they think it will make you pull over? Or were they just not paying attention?

Last edited:
More often than not its to make you move over. My father is a bugger for this, so I know how it works.

Personally I will either continue at my present pace, or if I can't be bothered with the agro and independing flashing of headlights, I will indeed just move over - its more hassle than its worth.

On the rare occasion I have been in a somewhat vindictive mood - I will let them past, and then tail them instead, from a safe but annoying distance. They start to get paranoid after a while.

Most of the time its to make you move over and they tend to be slightly to the right of you so if you look out the drivers mirror you can see their headlight. I don't move though. I don't take kindly to being bullied so i'll stay put.

The one that bugs me is:

I'm running on cruise control.

I've come up behind someone, and I move out to overtake when it's clear.

They now start pulling away from me.

Gah!

Not had too much trouble with "ram raiders" lately - local stretch of M1 has long term roadworks with 50mph limit and average-speed cameras.

The one that bugs me is:

I'm running on cruise control.

I've come up behind someone, and I move out to overtake when it's clear.

They now start pulling away from me.

Gah!

Not had too much trouble with "ram raiders" lately - local stretch of M1 has long term roadworks with 50mph limit and average-speed cameras.

Where abouts do you live if you don't mind me asking?

lol I've done that before.

Some Rover hatchback was tailgating me so I pulled over to the left lane and subtly dropped down a gear (No noisy exhaust luckily or it would've been obvious)

The Rover went to overtake but ended up keeping pace with me and after getting annoyed by my innocent yet sarcastic "Go on then" expressions, he dropped back behind me and gave up.

Nil poin Mr Rover man.

Well you should be keeping left on the motorway, so if you're being a **** and just sitting there in the middle or fast lane (which is the most annoying thing in the world for those of use that travel a lot and actually need to get somewhere) then you're getting a lot less than you deserve imo.

I must admit I for one am sometimes guilty of "ram-raiding" if the above is taking place. People who do it when there's a car in front of you and they can't actually really get anywhere though are bang out of order.

Well you should be keeping left on the motorway, so if you're being a **** and just sitting there in the middle or fast lane (which is the most annoying thing in the world for those of use that travel a lot and actually need to get somewhere) then you're getting a lot less than you deserve imo.

I must admit I for one am sometimes guilty of "ram-raiding" if the above is taking place. People who do it when there's a car in front of you and they can't actually really get anywhere though are bang out of order.

They still try it on if you are legitimately overtaking someone. And members of the Centre Lane Owners Club (clock) really wind me up too!

I find if you keep your lights on all the time people tend to move over if they are outer lane hogging. THere is no need to go right up behind them at speed! :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

yup the COCs group is the worst. i came up behind a woman passing a wagon. she moved over let me passed, i put my indicator on to move over and looking in the mirror and hers her moving back across to the middle.
anyone caught doing this should be giving 50000000000000000000 points and banned from anything other than a push bike

Thought so. I live near the M1 J27. I thought it was that stretch of the M1 you was talking about.
Do you go out cruising round this way then?

Not really. Until monday, I've not really had time, with 10 hour shifts, 2 hours over time and 1.5 hours travel time.

However, I'm now back at the more local station which cuts me down to .5 hours travelling, and 7.5 hour shifts (although I do more days in a week), so I do have a little time to play now.

Edit: I always prefered Centre Lane Only Drivers, or CLODs :D

Bloody hell WLBjork, your working patterns sound just like mine. Don't suppose when you stay stations you mena power stations?

Nah, Ambulance. Not with the blues and twos either.

Bog standard Patient Transport for outpatient appointments, admissions and discharges.

Some idiot tried this on me in a 40mph zone the other day, came flying off the dual carriageway and then sat right on my bumper, nowhere to get past until just out of the 40 zone so already had it in 3rd and just waited until they were alongside before flooring it and watching them flailing around in the rear view mirror trying to keep up.