Correct use of Indicators

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
IMO few drivers seem to understand/remember that they are there to advise/warn of their intention to change lanes or turn some distance ahead before executing the manoeuvre and not as so many do and turn the wheel and hit the flasher stalk simultaneously as there is a time delay before the light starts flashing.

Turning on the indicators DOES NOT GIVE ONE RIGHT OF WAY and one should only turn WHEN SAFE TO DO SO

FWIW I count 4/5 flasher ticks and still check mirrors along with a shoulder check to see if all is clear before changing direction to ensure that there is space as well as not causing any following motorist to brake/change lanes etc.

i didnt think indicators existed anymore as most people seem not too bother indicating i have noticed its got worse this last couple of years

They can help on roundabouts, helping other drivers to continue rather than stop.Over-use of indicators creates confusion. Indicators are not brain substitutes.

Indicators are meant to be used to warn/advise others of your intentions as we are not mind readers.

I understand that one needs to be situationaly aware at all times but can you explain when indicators used correctly cause confusion ??

Indicators are meant to be used to warn/advise others of your intentions as we are not mind readers.

I understand that one needs to be situationaly aware at all times but can you explain when indicators used correctly cause confusion ??

Indicators used correctly don't cause confusion.

I said that they can cause confusion if over used.

Over use is not correct use.

It's not that complicated.

What a strange question!!!!

Last edited:
The road rules over here require indicators to be used to inform others around you (coming from both directions) of your intention to change direction /change lanes /exit a highway every time otherwise you are committing an offense. Except if you are in a marked dedicated single direction turn lane.

Would be great if you can clarify what you call "over use" ( are you referring to drivers who fail to turn them off ?) so I and others can better understand your point of view.

Nothing complicated or strange about that IMO :confused:

Have zero problems with anybody who does not agree with my point of view and have an open mind and happy to change it if a logical reason is given :)

Last edited:
Signal clutter. I find that drivers here don't signal reliably, or at all. Until they join a motorway and then signal incessantly rather than engage brain and eyes. indicators are not brain substitutes.

Much the same over here and yes one can't take the flashing indicators as Gospel so that's why one has to be aware of everything happening all around you.
Lane position can give some indication as to the signalers intentions.

Merging into traffic is another of my hobby horses as many seem clueless about the need to merge at the speed limit or whatever the traffic flow/speed is or close to it and seem to drive like "Miss Daisy" and want to tootle along 20klm slower. ( the rules here say that others should not have to slow or change lanes to allow the merger to join in the traffic flow BUT in reality the mergers indicate occasionally/rarely and few appear to do a shoulder check and appear to think that they have right of way)

It would appear that many are afraid to accelerate hard to get up to speed and not impede other motorists for some unknown reason even in hi powered cars.

I am not criticizing rights of drivers who wish to drive way under the posted limits in safe conditions PROVIDED they are not holding up the traffic flow and need to get out of the "fast" lanes and realize they do not have the right to prevent others from driving at or near the posted limit and if on a single lane to pull over and let the following built up traffic pass safely otherwise a dangerous overtaking situation can develop due to frustration.

An experienced driver can usually work out what a car is intending to do based on speed, road position and other factors. Indications are a nice confirmation of this intention.

I do agree that they are not used enough. Here is a real conversation I had last year when following someone.

That wasn't easy, you don't use your indicators do you?
NO - do they help?
Yes they kind of do help a lot when I'm following you and don't know where you are going.​

A mate of mine only seems to use his indicator stalk to hang his car air freshener from o_O
Try following him to a place you have never been too before and you will need the "force" and be qualified as a Jedi Knight ;)

It can be quite annoying when your sitting for longer than need be at a roundabout because nobody ever signals, I find myself watching where drivers are looking rather than looking at indicators...

Also, fog lights on when its not foggy or dark is pretty popular around here... I don't really see the point but I do do it some.

A mate of mine only seems to use his indicator stalk to hang his car air freshener

Reminds me of way back when cars had chokes and saw a woman driving with the car belching black smoke pull into the kerb and saw she had her handbag hanging on the choke.

Lets go over the basics of a car interior. We've already covered what the indicator stalk is for.
I would like to suggest that to prevent a very stressful & horrific driving experience, all of the air vent's Must be pointing the exact same way before you pull off.

Not sure about this pedal on the left though...