clio 1.4 16v tuning

dannyjenks

hi all, just wondering if people have any idea on what to do to a clio 1.4 16v,its the 2003 model? Recently,a asian who was drunk drove into it while it was parked so im deciding to just go for it with the engine mods.

any ideas people?

ive looked at cams and ecu remap which ive been quoted 125 bhp!!! any more ways?? and where i can get products from to increase the power rather than dropping a 2.0 litre engine in?

im going to add an air filter and exhaust to this setup and just wondered if things like boost valves/exhaust manifolds will make a difference and where to get these from or any other things that could help?

if you are wondering why i waint just get a 2.0l engine,its because i like my 1.4 and making it quick for the engine it is sounds fun tbh:)

thanks in advance guys(and gals)

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars nice to have you along danny. Sorry to hear about the drunk driver incident.:(

It going to be pretty expensive to up the power on a 1.4 and you will hit a limit of around 130bhp unless you do a major rebuild.

All the things you mention will make a difference but I doubt it will be very noticable. The cams are the best mod you can do but when you go with a race cam for the max power you lose a lot of low down smoothness.

Thanks for the quick response Wayne, very much appreciated!!

yeah i was warned about that? couldnt find any ways to overcome that apart from a supercharger but n/a for this engine. ive been quoted 600 for the cams fitted (that good or bad??) then 200 for remap so 800 altogether for that to 125 bhp.

I no you mentioned about the power at low revs been sacrificed but i drive over the moors from sheffield to stoke every week so im always at high revs anyway (may i add its so fun to drive over:))

Is there any other way to overcome this then or not?? or just stick for the max of 130bhp with poor low revs?

No it was in a fiat
name is claymore but hes not been around for a while.
might be worth posting in his thread so he gets a email

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f47/marea-volumex-2596/

power is around 201bhp with the supercharger on.

principle seems to be good, start with the boost low and increase slowly. this saves a engine rebuild to lower the compression. also means you get decent torque all through the range

whats the 2nd engine hes using? i no one i saw is the 20v lump out of a fiat coupe, is that the one that is supercharged or the other and what size engine is it?

is eaton the ones that can make universal fits or something like that? and what would it be like to setup it up on a 1.4

I know about fiat doing a turbo and a supercharger (not both together) for the fiat 1.4 16v engines through JCR performance and i contacted them but they said they waint do it as it would only be a one off project and they need a few to sell to get their money back off it so im guessing it can be done

dont know abou the second lump. he nly mentioned that last time he was on.

its the 2.0 20v unit thats supercharged.
the eaton charger was out of the mini cooper s. he removed his air con pump and fitted the supercharger in place of it

At relatively low boost the car will adjust fuelling to cope with the extra air. The more boost you run the more you will have to start modding other things.

another option is, youve said you dont want a 2.0 how about going smaller - yes smaller.
Renault released a 1.2 turbo unit to phase out the 1.4, same power but lower emissions, more torque and better economy overall.
might be worth looking to see if you can find one of then. but its going to be harder as i think they were only released last year.
swap it in and changes are your going to have to put a custom intake and exhaust one ( engines from the new shape, 03 will still be the older shape is it ?) and a remap might see you around 125bhp

so wayne, your saying i can put eaton supercharger on (maybe from a cooper s???) but how would i go about fitting it??and what kind of things need changing to run higher boost?

to run the higher boost.
Lower the compression - through rebore, thicker head gasket or shorter connecting rods
stonger piston heads
Clutch to handle the torque
gearbox- same reason
maybe even the driveshafts
all depending on how much boost you want to put through it.

think ill stick with low boost for now!! haha (whats best boost to run though) safety and economical because i wouldnt want to run it at the highest low boost in can handle

couldnt tell you mate, start with the wastegate open and slowly close the watergate to increase boost.
listen out for the engine knocking, if you hear it your running too high.
afterwards use super unleaded as this will give you a it more leeway
i wouldnt advise going above 4 or 5 psi

Last edited:
hi all, just wondering if people have any idea on what to do to a clio 1.4 16v,its the 2003 model? Recently,a asian who was drunk drove into it while it was parked so im deciding to just go for it with the engine mods.

any ideas people?

ive looked at cams and ecu remap which ive been quoted 125 bhp!!! any more ways?? and where i can get products from to increase the power rather than dropping a 2.0 litre engine in?

im going to add an air filter and exhaust to this setup and just wondered if things like boost valves/exhaust manifolds will make a difference and where to get these from or any other things that could help?

if you are wondering why i waint just get a 2.0l engine,its because i like my 1.4 and making it quick for the engine it is sounds fun tbh:)

thanks in advance guys(and gals)
i used to have a 1.4 mg and tryed alsorts to make it faster like the full stainless viper induction kit fast rd cams and to be honest it didnt make a noticeable diffrence i just ended up selling the car and buying faster to start again with

At home this week so not been on much to read your replys

what was your bhp from the mods on the mg lyndsey?, i know they are heavier cars the my shape clio and also in a high state of tune

also just been looking at throttle bodys, would put a 2.0l on make any difference at all?

Or would even trying to put the clio sport intake manifold work and then adjust the ecu settings? (bviouly along side other mods like cams good intake system and exhaust manifold and exhaust)

In theory, more air means more petrol and more petrol and air means more "ang"obviously not everything goes to theory lol but just wondered

Opening up the airways and restrictive throttle body will usually mean you get more air flow but you need to bear in mind the engine is still only sucking in 0.25*1.4 litres of air (4 cylinder) so there will not be much of a power gain and you may find you lose some low down power. To be honest I don't think you will be very pleased with the minimal power gain considering the money and time spent doing it.