Choosing a car mag

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What makes you decide whether to buy a car mag or not? Does it depend on the main feature or some other aspect like say an up to date new car guide?

I tend to buy alternative mags each month to keep a finger on the pulse of each tuning scene, I like Evo, Banzai TopGear, Practical Performance car and The Kit car mag.

I choose an item based on the main editorial topics and especially if there is a shoot out or group test or rolling road session. I find I learn a lot from these sort of articles.

When money's tight, I buy a magazine only if it's relevant to my car, if there's a 206 feature or guide in it. I do have subscriptions to Max Power and Lowrider, but they're both birthday pressies that I just ask for renewal on every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's only two magazines I have bought regularly. I bought Retro Cars (the first time round) after my friend showed me a copy he had bought at a services. I had a bit of trouble getting hold of it at first until I found out that my local petrol station and 'convenience store' stocked limited numbers which I snapped up every second Tuesday of the month until I got a continuing subscription.

The other magazine, I continue to buy regularly is Banzai. I still haven't got a subscription out, but I buy it every month without ever checking the contents first.

The reason I buy/bought these magazines is that I have an interest in those cars the magazines focus on, but also because I feel they are well written; they don't assume an over familiarity with everything that's going on and they don't condascend either. Just as importantly the articles are entertaining to read.

I remember a long time ago reading a copy of Max Power (before the overhaul) and felt I wasted five minutes of my life reading an article about a body kit - that's all the car had done to it!

Also I remember seeing a five page article about a Subaru Impreza that was about a hundred words explaining how the writer had got 'really #!#!#!#!#!#!ing drunk' the night before and was having the 'king of hangovers'.

How professional and mature! I suppose that sells to someone, but not me.

Last edited: