Enjoy choosing cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you enjoy choosing and searching for a new car or does the thought fill you with dread?

What about negotating prices with sellers? Is this something you enjoy and are good at or do you tend to just go for well priced cars anyway.

Do you decide on a specific make and model of car before you buy or do you just go along to dealers and through the classifieds and see what is available?

Make and model decision first always. I'm quite a canny buyer even with older cars and have had no problems apart from the Laguna II which I rejected after 8 days.

But I did negotiate a full refund. In fairness it wasn't the supplying dealers fault. He'd sold a 3 yr old car in good faith, and the documentation was all in place. The problem was simply that the car was a Friday afternoon special and I didn't want it. So I shall not be naming the dealer.

made the decision to have a bmw diesel before i bought it, then price, value for money and everything else comes into play.
i haggle as much as i can out of dealers, private sellers or anything. even going to a market i haggle,

I keep my cars for ages. Since 1987 (and covering over 700,000 miles in the intervening period) I've only owned 6 cars. And I have the 6th one now, which I bought this July, as an emergency purchase.

Some of my mileage was covered in an allocated company car but I opted for the cash in lieu option in the end when that one went back.

Much better for me.

No restrictions on makes or models. Don't even need to buy new cars.

only owned 6 cars i have more then that this year lol

i enjoy the look on ebay seeing what cars are really cheap for me to buy to sell
then the look to see what i want for my self

am after a new motor at the min so i dont have to use the landrover all the time
am looking at a diesel astra cheap head gasket gone

But you can fix your own cars, Matt. I can't, so that sort of thing is not an option for me.

I'm good at keeping to service schedules and I'm very mechanically sympathetic (no heavy loads on engines when cold etc) which is why they last for ages. I'm very sensitive to odd sounds and behaviour so I can get a developing problem fixed before it becomes catastrophic.

Note I say 'get a problem fixed', not fix it myself.

I love looking for cars, and I love changing cars. I like the fun of something 'new'. I tend to look through Auto Trader and decide on what make/model I want.. then its just a case of printing loads off and visiting all the relevant garages with suitably priced examples...

I love looking for cars, and I love changing cars. I like the fun of something 'new'. I tend to look through Auto Trader and decide on what make/model I want.. then its just a case of printing loads off and visiting all the relevant garages with suitably priced examples...

And that's perfectly sensible as well. You allocate large sums of money to your car purchases and buy accordingly. Why not, indeed?

Car buyers who match with your socio-economic profile and change cars in short order create a healthy 2nd user market. Good for the economy, and indeed, the environment, that is if we're bothered about it.

Nothing wrong with changing cars frequently if it suits you and your means.

It's a personal choice, so go enjoy choosing is what I say.

i dont ever buy from dealers, have never had a good experience with dealers when i have helped other people buy from them. i have however always managed to get people good deals from dealerships :)

i prefer to hunt down the privately owned bargains ;)

I have owned a lot of cars in last 2 years, approx 18, and have turned a profit on every one of them. I love hunting down a good car, then making sure im getting a good deal out of it.

next deal is happening today btw ;)

I like looking at cars, and I'll negotiate hard, but fair I think. I will walk away immediately if I think something's not right.

I will go for either a specific make/model, or specific type of car, diesel, V6, hot hatch or whatever.

I've had nigh on 20 cars in my 23 years of driving, but only ever bought one from new. I'll probably have the Bora another 5 years before I change it.

I decide on a few candidates and have a look around. The last time I was looking for a car I was specifically looking at Hondas. After a month of seeing rubbish examples I opened my eyes to the rest of the car world. I considered a Pug 106 GTi but eventually settled on a BMW.

I'm one of those people that sit looking through Pistonheads thinking 'if I could afford it'.

similar to Prince, i love looking through Pistonheads, Ebay etc.... but i really am a miser and unless i think that i'm really getting a good deal i wont go for it. like a pervious post i erally love to drive different cars, even if they are o the slow side, i just enjoy the different feel and limitations - would recommend to anyone if they can find an old 1.0l Renault 5 to just buy it, they are so much fun and even this piddly little engine is enjoyable in such a light car. its amazing what you can beat in it (but you really have to drive it on the limit - no need to worry about tyres they cost about 5p each)

similar to Prince, i love looking through Pistonheads, Ebay etc.... but i really am a miser and unless i think that i'm really getting a good deal i wont go for it. like a pervious post i erally love to drive different cars, even if they are o the slow side, i just enjoy the different feel and limitations - would recommend to anyone if they can find an old 1.0l Renault 5 to just buy it, they are so much fun and even this piddly little engine is enjoyable in such a light car. its amazing what you can beat in it (but you really have to drive it on the limit - no need to worry about tyres they cost about 5p each)

They a bit flimsy though. Wouldn't fancy a collision in one.

ah, yes, would try and avoid that. We used one as a run about for 5 years after picking is up for gbp60 from the auction. the boot space, for such a small car, is amazing