Cars bigger = interior smaller

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you noticed that although cars seem to be getting bigger the interior space is smaller or still about the same!

I'm sure our 1.3 Corolla had more internal room than our current A3. The MK1 Golf seemed to have more interior space than the MK4!

Am I making this up or is it something you've noticed?

Yeah, its because they now have to fit crumple zones on the front, and enlarge the dash. Most car companies now fit hugging seats, that are bigger then the old flat ones. The center consol is also getting bigger. Where as before, having a space to put some change was a luzury, you now get an armreast, 3 compartments, all joined onto the dash. Steering wheels are also a lot bigger (bulkier). In the back, the seats are designed to fold completely flat, and for some reason, take up more space. And with the intorduction to rear seat head rests since the early 90's the cars look smaller and smaller in size, because they are full of things you dont really need.

I think that was quite a logical post for me! :blink: Suprise even myslef sometimes! :lol:

I have noticed it as well, back in the 80's car manufacturers thought they could save money by making their cars smaller, now though they're going the other way

take Vauxhall for instance a new Corsa is as big as a mk3 Astra, a new Astra is as big as an old Vectra, a new Vectra is as big as an old Carlton/Senator but because of all the new law changes and health and safety BS they have to fill all the extra space with safety devices

this is true of the Toyota Camry, the 2008 version onwards is much wider on the outside but the inside really is much smaller, especially in the back. Am so glad we bought the Mondeo instead, it has acres of room in the back.