Small cars getting bigger - why?

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Driving into work this morning and looking around at other cars as you do, what do I see? A Fiat 500 L.
I was always lead to believe unless my eyes want retesting, that the 500 was a small petite fun car. This 500 L was mahooooosive! In fact, alongside my own chariot it looked positively Range Rover like with a similar height - why? :confused:

Not too long ago I came across one of the new BMW Mini range which was again - huge!

So help me understand this please, what is the real need from manufacturers here to make a known small car bigger?

It's funny you mention this. My girlfriend spotted a 5 door mini a few days back and commented on it being too big. She said it's supposed to be a "Mini" the clues in the name!

It's funny you mention this. My girlfriend spotted a 5 door mini a few days back and commented on it being too big. She said it's supposed to be a "Mini" the clues in the name!

I could not agree more with your young lady Rob, if this keeps up I can see Range Rovers growing to the size of Hummers!

Well you mention Land Rover / Range Rover.... They've replaced the 'Freelander' which was the baby of the range, with a Discovery 'Sport' now... turns out its actually a massive 7 seater tank. Even the FL2 was larger than the original Freelander. Funnily enough it was an original shape Freelander I took my driving test in! Can't say I would want to do the same in a tank of a Discovery Sport.

The MK1 golf is as big as a current Polo. It seems all cars are getting larger and heavier.

You will kill the look of a car like the mini or Fiat 500 when you make super large versions of them. The countryman mini just looks ridiculous to me!