Will cars keep getting bigger

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It is interesting that the MK1 Astra was roughly the same size as a modern Corsa, the Mk1 Golf is about the same as a modern Polo.

The New Mini is much bigger than the original, a 205 is about the same size as a modern 106!

Have all car models just kept getting bigger? Will this carry on or do you see them reversing this trend and getting smaller models to help keep weight down?

Is it just a case of the outsides getting thicker and the space inside the cars are fairly constant?

Can you think of any other examples of this or even some examples where this does not apply.

It's no big deal. Your comparison of current Polo to MkI Golf is spot on. VAG solved this by introducing the Lupo. Ford fitted the Ka in underneath the Fiesta in much the same way.

some people buy the same model everytime they get a new car, so the car manufacturers make it bigger, charge a higher price and therefore have higher turnover. then they introduce a newer smaller model for those who are new to the market, imo. its just another way to get you to part with more cash. (of course in Subaru's case they have made an almost fatal error by slicing the boot of the impreza, making it smaller, and causing nobody to want to buy it - tools!)

Safety has certainly made them heavier. My old 1985/6 ?? Montego didn't quite weigh in at a ton. 19.8 CWT. Looked like a tank but certainly not built like one.

Last edited:
Weight is a big factor, the early Golf was something like 700kgs, the new one is about double that figure.

I do think cars will get lighter again and we will see more use of carbon fibre and other lighter composites in manufacturer as manufacturers chase MPG figures.

I guess the question is would you prefer a heavy NCAP approved car or a lighter non NCAP one? Would most people take the "it'll never happen to me" line and opt for the more risky of the two?

Another one i've spotted, the BMW X3 is now as large as the original X5!! And you thought the X5 was big when it first came out!