Car maintenance that goes bad.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your bad car maintenance experiences?

We've all started a simple job that just escalates out of control. For example removing the rear brake drum should be easy but they can sieze on fast.

Changing spark plugs again is simple but then you end up cross threading a plug (I hope its not just me thats done that one!):embarrest:

Then there is the occasion you unbolt something to find a huge area of rust behind it.

What was your simple car job that went bad on you?

changing the oil on the wifes rover 25.
bought the oil and filter from halfords and went home
drained the oil, removed the old filter. went to fit the new filter and it went on 5 or 6 turns then jammed solid ( only using my hand here, no tools ) wouldnt come back off. had to get the filter remover onto it. ended up removing the thread work from the filter housing, this caused damage to the filter housing itself.

Jumped back in the car and took it halfords to show them, manager turned round and said that I had picked up the wrong box as the filter number and box number didnt match showed him the receipt and eventually he gave in and told us just to bill them for a new housing, only problem nobody stocked one. Ended up having to pull one of a scrapped car - the manager there wasnt happy as the guy had given us access to nearly new engine which now couldnt sell at the price they wanted.

Longest oil change ive ever done - 8 hours
cost nothing - as got the scrappy to write out the receipt for more, which they were happy to do as they dont get on with competition as theyve also got a new parts section as well, and got 10ltrs of free oil.

An 8 hour oil change! :lol: Good job you werent being charged by the hour. Did you decide to use a garage in future after that?

when i was takin my bumper off for the angel eyes put all the screws in a box, then put when i came to put it back on i had a screw left and cant where it goes,

at the same time a screw had rusted so much i had to drill it out, luckily i could just use a screw the same size

had nothing i cant handle all service work ok had a spark plug snap off in the hole once took the head off drilled taped it head back on in the afternoon

have a bmw on the lift at the mo that the rear sub frame mounts have come out of the chassis have seen it before testing a bmw and a freelander had loads of them

but this bmw has now got to have 2 mounts welded back on have done one and the other i put on upside down so got it back off to put on tomorrow the have 3 plates on the sill to weld on and the tanks and rear sub frame diff sus brakes the lot to put back on will be off the lift tomorrow