Accidents going down insurance goes up.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Ok then so here is an anomoly I heard on the radio. In the UK car accident rates are dropping but the costs associated with them are going up.

The main culprits are the credit car hire companies who can extortionately bump up the cost of a claim in car hire charges.

What are your thoughts on this? If you had a claim which would be the better option?

1) £2500 for 6 weeks car hire.
2) Buying a car for £1500 to run around in whilst the claim is sorted and then selling it for £700.

The trouble is an insurer is unlikely to go for option 2.

Perhaps if insurers were more proactive in providing courtesy cars they could save money.

During my claim I bought my BMW with the intention of selling it once the claim had been settled or my Civic was roadworthy again.

I think one of the reasons for insurance going up is because they know they can get away with it. By law we are required to have insurance so we will fork out for it from someone.

During my claim I bought my BMW with the intention of selling it once the claim had been settled or my Civic was roadworthy again.

I think one of the reasons for insurance going up is because they know they can get away with it. By law we are required to have insurance so we will fork out for it from someone.

Plenty of drivers don't bother though. This might well contribute to the price hikes the rest of us are enduring. And the higher the premiums get, the less inclined many drivers will be to bother with insurance.

Thus forcing the premiums still higher !!

It is shocking just how much everything is going up at the moment. I want to sell up and get a small holding and just live off the land. I bet the tax man would still expect me to pay him some tax though.

At least there are lots of places to go for insurance so if you shop around you can generally get a very good deal. I've found my local broker in the high street to be quite competative and it really helps having someone to fight your case for you when things do go wrong.

One of the reasons for insurance costs going up is the cost of repairing the complicated cars we drive these days. It doesn't take much damage to cause a writeoff.

I guess crumple zones and impact protection count for much of this. Years ago you'd have been killed but the chassis and everything else would still be relatively straight after a crash.

look at what was happening with the GTR when it 1st came out. if you hit front on from anything more than a crawl it activated the pedestrian protection or what ever its called. to reset this was something around £10k

Crazy. I've just heard the BBC Radio 4 money box program talking about the backhanders paid to referrals for hire cars.

Garages put people in touch with a credit hire firm then get comission based on how long the hire car is for so repairs are taking much longer. Cars are booked in on Fridays ready for work on Monday and authorisations take a few days longer to get through.

It is ultimately us the motoring public that suffer from all of this with slow repairs and hefty insurance premiums.