Floor matts = accidents??

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
I can not count on two hands how many times my floor matt in any of my cars I have owned, has moved forward, and when accelerating hard, the peddle getting stuck under it. I usually remove the floor matt after the first time it happens, but really don't want to in my Evo.

Do you think this has caused many accidents?? I have come close a few times.

What do you do to stop it, and not wear out the bottom of your car??

I can not count on two hands how many times my floor matt in any of my cars I have owned, has moved forward, and when accelerating hard, the peddle getting stuck under it. I usually remove the floor matt after the first time it happens, but really don't want to in my Evo.

In my Saab the front mats are secured in place by plastic studs that protrude through the carpet! but without them it would be very dangerous to drive around with a migrating car mat. Can you not fashion up something BBJ? Maybe the use of some velcro or something similar!
In B&Q they sell a self adhesive carpet gripper tape that comes on a roll, this might be just the thing for you to use! :)

Get some custom ones made with clips the clips just screw into the carpet. But when removed dont leave a mark;) ebay is quite good for these

I used heavy duty double sided carpet tape in my A3 and that worked very well. Most modern mats have a gripper bar or catch on the plastic studs the manufacturers put in. I wish i'd bought proper mats for the A3 instead of el cheapo "tailored ebay mats".

Mine has a single stud with like a hook type thing on it, but as soon as I get in, it unfastnes them self and moves up, As my boot and fuel opener is right next to it, I have to feed my carpet below them, and doing this every day is starting to get on my tits.

Ill see if I can get them clips off Ebay and in B&Q. Don't fancy sticking it down with tape, as I remove my carpets once a fortnight to give em a good clean.

I did my self a 0-60 test the other day (believe it or not with a copper in the car) and as I was changing from second to third, my peddle got stuck. It was at night, and my baby didn't appretiate hitting the rev limmiter, as she gave out a 3foot flame out the exhaust!

Don't want it to happen again.

So you clean under your car mats then? That's a womans approach to cleaning! Move the Sofa and clean the bit under neath it that doesn't get any dust falling on it anyway! :rolleyes: I'll never understand.

I suppose with tape the grit doesn't get in there anyway but I know mats are easier to clean when removed. I only do my mats once a month with a dust buster and then thorougly after 6 months or so with a hoover.

So you clean under your car mats then? That's a womans approach to cleaning! Move the Sofa and clean the bit under neath it that doesn't get any dust falling on it anyway! :rolleyes: I'll never understand.

I suppose with tape the grit doesn't get in there anyway but I know mats are easier to clean when removed. I only do my mats once a month with a dust buster and then thorougly after 6 months or so with a hoover.

:blink: Really!! I had you down as the OCD type Waynne! lol :eek:

Nha, like to do them each time I hoover. Usual wash and hoover takes about 2 hours, and If I was to do a quick polish, about 3.5-4 hours. She is due a good seeing to though. Need to get some new wax. GP told me witch one to get, but I have forgot what it was called :embarrest: fl100k or something like that! Sorry GP

mine came with two screw things that clip through the mat and screw into the carpet underneath. first time id ever seen these and thought 'what a good idea' lol. then PG said he had them and realised im not special.

in previous cars they always move, so i did what waynne done and taped em down, when that gave in, the mats went to the great rug in the sky lol ;)

Mine has a single stud with like a hook type thing on it, but as soon as I get in, it unfastnes them self and moves up, As my boot and fuel opener is right next to it, I have to feed my carpet below them, and doing this every day is starting to get on my tits.

i have the exactly the same fitment on the Subaru and just got so annoyed with it that the mats have come out, probably not the best for the carpet but stupid little plastic stud is useless. Have had the mats stuck in the pedals numerous times.

simple solution....
remove mats, carpet, headlining, seats and most the dash. fit race interior and rivet checker plate to the floor.
saves weight easier to clean and looks the canine genitalia! haha

The mats slip forward most of the time, or at least are dangerous when they do slip forward, thus fouling up the movement of the pedals.

May I suggest something?

Two holes on the rear corners of the mats, closest to the reciprocating slide anchors of the seats.

Two pieces of string, 8-9" in length each, and the thickness of a cigarette.

thread the string through the holes in the mats and around the base of the seat anchors and make a nice bow-knot. or ask your wife to do that, to make it look pretty.

This then:
1. Prevents them from slipping forward,
2. Does away with the need to make holes in the carpet,
3. And allows easy removal for cleaning,

Along with a simple fact that this can be done right now, without a special trip to the market to buy anything, unless of course you ran out of string last night.

;) ;) ;)

And then you can discard them for replacement, without much ado.

Last edited: