Car Insurance for modified cars - tips and a guide

dan clio mk1

Wrench Pro
i got a clio mk1 1.9D and i have done my pass plus just finished it this sat i only passed on the 18th of august and i got 800 quid off me insurance its now 1300 from 2100 without pass plus and i have rung up litteraly hundreds of the #!#!#!#!ty companies and the thing is they expect u 2 be nice but when they say your car is fast when its only got somethin like 63hp i cant help but say your takin the piss

TITAN

Tuner
From
London
Car
Honda Civic EG
i got a clio mk1 1.9D and i have done my pass plus just finished it this sat i only passed on the 18th of august and i got 800 quid off me insurance its now 1300 from 2100 without pass plus and i have rung up litteraly hundreds of the #!#!#!#!ty companies and the thing is they expect u 2 be nice but when they say your car is fast when its only got somethin like 63hp i cant help but say your takin the piss
who's that with m8 cos im payin silly money 4 a 1.3 civic ( im 17 also) am definatley going to do pass plus shortly but i've got a qoute for that and its still not much help

- i posted this in the other thread but just in case u didnt see it im posting it here also

dan clio mk1

Wrench Pro
its with ensleigh and try and get a woman they got a sexy voice and make it better for u 2 part with ur money and if u give a bit of charm they go easy wiv ya on ur policy

lyndsey

Tuner
From
birmingham
Car
focus st-2
i completly agree with u, it is safe to no that your completly insured, howeva, why is it, that when i tried to insure my car, because i have onli just passed my test, i had alot of trouble finding a company that wud insure me knowin that my car had alloys and a body kit, i dont think this is fair. i understand that rates may go up, but it givs the impression that we cant have the cars we want as insurance is too high! opinions any1?
they werent not insuring you due to you just passing,its cause they class a moded car as more attractive to thieves,i no its hard as i was treated the same. i just went with adrian flux wiked company, didnt moan about any of the mods and were cheaper than most quotes id had.

Hammy

Wrench Pro
From
Car
what if i have put a spoiler from a 2ltr zxi model to my car, its a standard part, but its an extra when you bought the car new.

HDi fun

TC ModFather
From
Buckinghamshire UK
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
they might say it increases the value (presumably by the amount that the spoiler cost). And they MIGHT just say that it increases the stealability. But that's splitting hairs.

Hammy

Wrench Pro
From
Car
cheers for that, hdi but i think it would go unnoticed, as i saw a gxi (my model) with it on, so il give it a miss, also my "cat" that lives in my car has gone! so i wont be telling them either.lol

HDi fun

TC ModFather
From
Buckinghamshire UK
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
The spoiler almost certainly will go unnoticed.

A cat is not a legal requirement, it's just that your car is very unlikely to pass the MoT emissions test without it.

If you've removed it to increase performance then you are running a risk of finding your insurance cover void.

Insurers will seek to avoid meeting a claim if they suspect foul play. And they probably won't cover you if you told them the cat had been removed as the car is the technically unroadworthy.

Perhaps you should tell us all your address and registration number so we can ensure we don't ever become involved in RTA with you.

Hammy

Wrench Pro
From
Car
The spoiler almost certainly will go unnoticed.

A cat is not a legal requirement, it's just that your car is very unlikely to pass the MoT emissions test without it.

If you've removed it to increase performance then you are running a risk of finding your insurance cover void.

Insurers will seek to avoid meeting a claim if they suspect foul play. And they probably won't cover you if you told them the cat had been removed as the car is the technically unroadworthy.

Perhaps you should tell us all your address and registration number so we can ensure we don't ever become involved in RTA with you.

Well let me know if your around south west england, il keep out of your way, but i thankyou ever so much for your reply, my boss keeps nagging me to get off torquecars now so il better go! lol

HDi fun

TC ModFather
From
Buckinghamshire UK
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
I'm frequently in North Devon so I'll keep a lookout for your car. 323Fs are getting rare now so when I spot one in that area with a spoiler I'll assume it's yours.

I shall then proceed to give your registration to the police and alert them to the fact that I believe the vehicle may be unroadworthy and not subject to valid insurance.

How does that sound?

Only kidding, I won't go that far. But you ought to let your insurer know of mods just for your own peace of mind as well.

HDi fun

TC ModFather
From
Buckinghamshire UK
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
I know ;)

Genuinely though, insurers will seek to avoid paying out and it's best to make sure they have no leg upon which to stand in the unfortunate event that one is involved in a collision. Otherwise it's a waste of a premium.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
They will use every trick in the book to avoid paying out and the assesors they use are paid to pick up on every anomaly.

We had a close call with a BMW owner who opted for larger wheels, if he hadn't got them from the dealer as an option at the time of the sale he could well have been without cover! :eek:

Hammy

Wrench Pro
From
Car
HDi has got me a little worried now, as i need my car for work! lol. but seriously, i have told my insurance company about my tiny 15ich rims, and my k and n induction, which bumped it up my £7 a month! but the cat will go back on soon for my mot.

Rudders666

Torque Master
From
West Yorkshire
Car
Ford Focus ST300+
The best insurance company for me since the modifications seems to be Adrian Flux. It's worked out the same as my policy with esure even though i've now installed a high speed gearbox and a 2.8-litre engine, they cover my alloys for free. Superb! :bigsmile:

seanmgzr

From
portsmouth
Car
mgzr
What is the point in spending a small fortune modifying your car then not declaring it on the insurance.

All that happens is you get involved in an accident and the insurance company go "hey a modified non standard car " and they either dont pay up, cancel your insurance or give you a pittance. Pointless

I used Adrian Flux until I hit the magic over 25 and now use Performance Direct (with all mods declared)

Sean

Mx5

Torque Junkie
From
Mosman NSW Australia
Car
3.8 V6 Holden Skip
I have a 1.0 Corsa with a Irmsher Exhaust and a slightly diffrent front bumper, first of im with Admiral and my insurance for my first year with them last year was £1300 im a male at 21, for my second year not only have i moved house saving 300 on my insurance i told them that as its a Irmcher Parts its my believe that its how it came out of the factory and they knocked another 150 off my insurance,

Am i right i think i might have made it up lol

pgarner

TC ModFather
From
Lockerbie, SW Scotland
Car
Octy smoke machine
problem is if they were to look into it they could easily find out as the vaux should have the original order on computer incase parts need to be ordered for it and this would show that they didnt come with them as standard.

insurance companies are meant to be made aware of optional extras that were on the car at time 1st registration,

elephant didnt charge me more for my 17s as they are VW ones - well VW group anyway

StevieDB9

Road Burner
From
(was) Allanton, Scotland
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
im with admiral as they are by far the cheapest for me but they can be a pain. for one a woman ran into the back of me whilst sitting at red lights; even though she admitted fault and her insurance company covered all the costs, my insurance went up £40 (checked online making claim vs no claims), enquired about it and apparently even though it was not my fault I must obviously be a higher risk driver. go figure. also they charge extra for optional extras but dont replace them should they be damaged, how that works when there's a factory fitted body kit i'll never know :S

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We have some insurance deals in place and I've added them to the original post in this thread. So if you want a good deal try those links first when your policy is due. ;)

manracer82

Wrench Pro
From
Berwick England
Car
Vauxhall Astra MK4
i agree but also think there is a distinction between what is their business and what is yours as its their business if you mess around and start lowering the suspension but none if you are actually improving safety at garage and have 12 month mot thats yours i wouldnt inform them every job had done to the car i would be on the phone to them every week it comes down to safety if you make engine more powerful then tell them if you feel you need to

Last edited:

pgarner

TC ModFather
From
Lockerbie, SW Scotland
Car
Octy smoke machine
so your saying if i put on a huge 6 pot set of brakes on the front with racing pad, braided lines etc then i shouldnt need to tell them ? because im making the car safer