Car Insurance 2011

dpsubaru

The Torque Meister
Car
Subaru WRX Turbo 04
Great way to end the year by thinking about next years car insurance but just read and article in the FT that advises premiums may rise by up to 50% next year!!!! due to the massive increase in claims that motor insurance companies have been receiving due to the "no fee-no win" lawyers who are pushing people to claim for every little thing and also the number of fraudulent claims going through the system.

Every other area of insurance has been seeing decreases in claims.

Its a sad state of affairs that the UK is chasing after the USA to become another litigious state.

i absolutely detest lawyers, damn leeches and now they are screwing us again.

Got a link to the original article by any chance? Or was it on that paper stuff my dad used to read? :-D

not seen a link but have seen that pemuims will rise. i got an email off confused saying that my best price was £xxx. curently im paying £100 more than that for everything declared and protected no claims - not looking forward to june at this rate

I was paying £850 last year. Then I moved back in with my parents last week and had my policy cancelled as a result (they "don't insure in [my] new area"). Now can't get a quote for less than £2500 TPFT. Sure it's a different car (last one was written off - a non-faulter, but surely adds to the problem), but it's in the same insurance group (27), it's actually slower and I've been told it's mainly my new address.

It's annoying because I know for a fact my new area is much nicer than the slum I was in before. To think: I moved back in my parents to try and save a bit of money - hah! I insured my Celica at this exact same address a couple of years ago for £1400 with only 1 year's no-claims (rather than my current two - would have been 3 years in a few months; grrr).

This is getting silly. How am I more of a risk in a slower car than I was two years ago in a faster car, having had no fault claims or convictions in the meantime?

Anyone know any decent brokers for insuring a 24 year-old on a Saab 9-3 1.8t in Bradford? No? Anyone? Damn :-(

I'll just have to grin and bare it for a year and hope it's true that insurance gets a lot cheaper when you hit 25. Oh, and move somewhere nicer with a 1.1 Fiesta or something.

Last edited:
Insurance is a joke atm. It makes you understand why some people drive without it. It's stupid that insurance rises when you make a non-fault claim. I eventually managed to get my insurance down to less than a grand thanks to adding my mum to the policy.

just renewed the insurance on one of my private hire vehicles i payed £650 last year after 2 days of trying every independant and broker , the best i could get was £1046.
( not impressed ).

I found it had just settled down, but its all up in the air again now. Every year so far I have gone to renew my insurance, by cost has come down. I fear this year it will go on renewal for the first time. And I have to be honest. I dont know if I can afford it. My cost last yesr for a 10month booster was £1350. I go away in October for 4 months so is it really worth spending upto £1500 for 7 months of driving???

Best get my self on the comparrison web sites.

Just heard more bad news about much higher premiums this year! :eek: Most insurers are blaming increasing repair costs and inflated or fake injury claims.