Car back from servicing.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I got my car back from servicing, it had an MOT (PASS!) full service and aircon regas for £230. Which I thought was pretty good.

The service sheet shows 10w40 semin sythetic oil when the car needs 5w30 fully synthetic so i've been grannying it all weekend and will be ringing the garage this morning to see if it is just a typo.

Can you tell the difference between the oils by looking at it?

I got my car back from servicing, it had an MOT (PASS!) full service and aircon regas for £230. Which I thought was pretty good.

The service sheet shows 10w40 semin sythetic oil when the car needs 5w30 fully synthetic so i've been grannying it all weekend and will be ringing the garage this morning to see if it is just a typo.

Can you tell the difference between the oils by looking at it?

Not a clue :lol: But ... I buy the service kit myself and then go to the garage for servicing and ask them to use the kit. I fully trust my local garage. Those are the people who will change my oil for free as well as a broken bulb :lol:

I rang them and they say that the "book" says to use the oil they chose! Not their fault then really but I am going to get it drained and refilled with fully synthetic. I am just not going to chance it and risk oil pump failure.

I rang them and they say that the "book" says to use the oil they chose! .

Was that ou service book or their little book of oils ?

the boras handbook shows VW503 00 but doesnt say what the viscosity is

how much did the aircon charge cost you ??
mines is starting to feel a little warmer than normal

10w/40 is probably OK in the UK summer, but I agree that you really do want to be using a full synthetic. Turbos beat the crap out of oils and semis just won't cut it for the oil's service life.

Lots of garages seem to do this - I don't know why, unless they're hoping something will fail and they get the repair work. If that's the case it's a very hollow trick to play.

A/C draining and recharging should be done every 2-3 years at least. More often is better.

Keep the system on most of the time and you should have few problems.

Mine's not been charged since 2006 and it's still icy icy cold. It's a much better system than I find in most cars - vent temperatures are only 1-2 degrees above freeezing, even today with 86F outside! If you direct the airflow onto the glass you get condensation on the OUTSIDE !!!!

nice Dont think mines has been done since new,just over 3 and a half a think. with the climate control its sits around the 20 degree mark. with it turned up full it reads low (lowest before thats 18 ) but it doesnt feel as cold as the wifes golf with just hte aircon,

Climate control (which my Pug has) is only automated control of the a/c and ventilation system. the a/c system itself is exactly the same as that in a car without climate ctrl. Both will get equally cold if working well.

The book was the garages own guide to everything - clearly it leaves a lot to be desired and will also explain why the Rover 220 Belts would never fit properly!

Aircon recharge was £50 and the filter was around £12. Interestingly the aircon smell is gone now. The air con should be serviced every 2 years. Apparently the "smell" is bacteria living in the filter so it is healthier to get it services as well.

My aircon is sited in the front wing! At least it is not contributing to the engine bay heat.