Servicing the car - a ballache but satisfying

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
Just done a full service on the Bora - oil, air,fuel, pollen.

It was fiddly and messy and I had a proper oh moment when a rather vital spring retainer for the fuel filter went spoinging off into the engine bay. But I found it and now she's running quieter and smoother and I'll get a little better mpg and I've saved a 100 quid in labour charges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engine air and both cabin filters (yes, two, one either side, anyone have any idea WHY?) on the 5 series are fingertip jobs. Oil filter is on top - it's just a replaceable element. Oil is the usual mess so I leave it (and oil filter) to a garage to sort out.

Anyone know if it's worth swapping the oil filter halfway between oil changes - the filters are super cheap but not going to incur the mess if it's a waste of time.

aye its good and isnt in most cases that bad to do,

started the service on the skoda just before the wife went in, air, fuel and pollen filters took less than 20 mins to do and that included finding the tools. need to get down to the parents to get the oil and filter done then thatll be her

I've never bothered with interim filter changes either. Not ever. But it's so easy with it at the top of the engine and the filters are about three quid a go just wondered if it's worth doing.

It certainlly saves a few quid diy,but not everyone can do it. I can do most things if i cant 2 of my lads are mechanics which could save me a few quid as well,i change oil and filter every 4 months a bit excessive i know but it dont cost much and clean oils better than dirty!!.

It certainlly saves a few quid diy,but not everyone can do it. I can do most things if i cant 2 of my lads are mechanics which could save me a few quid as well,i change oil and filter every 4 months a bit excessive i know but it dont cost much and clean oils better than dirty!!.

Agree but we don't need to get into the olde worlde American thing with oil changes every 500 yards or whatever.

I'd rather have the correct oil in for 20,000 miles than the wrong stuff in for 2000 miles despite being changed ten times more often.

extended drain intervals are OK to point . . . . in truth I tend to get mine swapped out every 12,000-15,000 miels regardless of the service indicator lights

Last edited:
I do my oil and filter every 6 months as i do.quite a lot of short journies.
Never considered changing the filter more frequently but it is possible on the focus with it also being at the top and up facing. I eould also like to hear people's thoughts on this.

I dunno - my oil and filter gets changed every 7 to 8k anyway so I don't think there's much advantage in chaging the filter more often. It is cheap though I guess and on the Bora it's also up top at the front of the engine bay so really easy to get to.

I reckon dropping the sump and giving it a cleanout is worth doing on a high mileage car. I had to get a new sump a while back as the thread had stripped and apparantly there was a fair bit of gunk in the bottom of it.