Caliper painting tips wanted

Hi
ive read the forums and articles on painting calipers and i really want to paint them, however i'm prob a bit of an amateur so need a few tips on how to paint them, i reckon it will be easier to paint them while there on the car so has anyone done this and what should i look out for whilst doing them.
probably going to use hammerite as this seems to be highly receommended!!

Re: Caliper painting

i did mine while the car was off the road but i took mine off and all apart and sprayed them then lacquared them to give the shinee as the high temp paint i used was to dry and was more like power and plus was very dull

but if you dont know what you are doing i would just get a paint brush and some masking tape and paint them on the car

just dont paint the discs and you will be ok

They'll soon be plastered in road grime and brake dust so I wouldn't bother personally unless it's for a photo shoot.

Taking calipers off the car is fiddly job but it is the best way to prepare the surface for painting. You also have to go through the bleeding process when they're refitted which can be time consuming and messy.

what hdi said they do get covered in dust quick

and i would only do they if you can really see the calipers

i am thinking about doing mine again as i was not happy how they come out

Get yourself a good brake dust cleaner - most alloy wheel cleaners will suffice. Preparation is key, a bad surface will flake and look shabby very quickly.

Take the wheels off and put the car on axel stands or a ramp (better). Rest the wheel under neath the chassis to prevent the car hitting the ground if it slips off the jack or stands.

take wheel off
wire brush all of caliper thouroughily
blow off dust
wipe all of caliper with white spirits
brush on caliper paint
allow to dry

thats it

Get yourself a good brake dust cleaner - most alloy wheel cleaners will suffice. Preparation is key, a bad surface will flake and look shabby very quickly.

Take the wheels off and put the car on axel stands or a ramp (better). Rest the wheel under neath the chassis to prevent the car hitting the ground if it slips off the jack or stands.

Do you mean a Hydraulic ramp or just some normal ramps which you drive up?
I hope you mean hydraulic. ;)

no drive up the ramp using the brake discs ;)

like it has been said its better to remove them to prep them properly. however then you need to bleed them when they go back on

They'll soon be plastered in road grime and brake dust so I wouldn't bother personally unless it's for a photo shoot.

what hdi said they do get covered in dust quick

Mine don't. The wheels do but the calipers usually stay clean strangely. Besides, you can wash them when you wash your car you know kids :toung:

There's only one way to do a job of any description, properly !
Take the calipers off, clean and prep them properly and paint them properly.
It's not as if bleeding brakes is the hardest task on the planet.
Also be careful with wheel cleaners, most of them will obviously clean your wheels whilst at the same time destroy them slowly, wheel cleaning agents will also corrode brake discs, more so if not washed off properly.
My calipers were removed and painted with 2K paint. Of course they get dirty, so do unpainted ones but as already said, they clean up o.k. when the car gets a wash.

th_DSCF0003.jpg

Mine don't. The wheels do but the calipers usually stay clean strangely. Besides, you can wash them when you wash your car you know kids :toung:

wash your car what is that i never wash mine it does not get that dirty only gets polished and wiped over with a microfiber cloth