busy day yesterday

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
i picked up my parts from seat friday

new cv boots, front brake lines, nuts, bolts, bearings, top mounts for my suspension and for when my bushes arrive

so yesterday first job was the cv boots getting the first cv joint of took a while cause i couldnt really get enough leverage to give it a good whack (i done them while still on the car) but i finally got it of and dissembled it to give it a good clean. now reassembling it took my about 45 minuets i couldnt figure out how to get the cage back in :embarrest: the second 1 didnt take me long to do

then i did the brake lines this didnt take long

then i started on the suspension first i dissembled 1 of the shocks just to check whether it had used an aluminum spacer. then i assembled the front coilovers and wound up the first 1 to the highest setting and ping i wound it to far i tried winding it back but it started to thread. so i had to disassemble it again. but this time i used the disassembled 1 as a guide to set the height of the other 1. then used that 1 to set the hight of the other 1 (hope that makes sense?)
then i went to fit them but they had a larger diameter than the standard shock so i had to stretch the holes (father inlaw to the rescue again he had bought me pincers so i could do my cv boots earlier this time he bought me a chisel) luckily the rest of the front went on without a hitch
then my phone died so no more pics

the rear shocks and springs came of no trouble and the new ones went on with no problems either:bigsmile:

then i had to mess about with the rear discs they have started to pit so i had to get rid of the excess rust then wheels back on had a tidy up
by this time its 8oclock so i called it a day i had been doing it for 9 hrs
yawn1.gif

a few questions now
i have got to bleed my brakes today now when bleeding do you start with the furthest from the master cylinder or the abs unit? also when bleeding does the clutch have a bleed nipple or it done just through the brakes?

should i drop the suspension? taking into account im on standard droplinks and the springs need bedding in
or should i wait until i have adjustable drop links and the springs are bedded?
also what is the max tolerance you can have between the shocks eg at the front at the moment 1 side is 370mm from the wing to the center of the wheel the other side is 360mm so there is 10mm difference

think its furthest from the cylinder back then the cylinder. ABS unit needs to be done with vagcom

if the droplinks are the same as the golfs then you can get away with,iirc, around 35-40mm before issues

cheers for the reply pg :D

now i made a stupid mistake today while bleeding my brakes :embarrest:
cry3.gif
basically i was using an ezibleed kit to do my brakes. and i did the the first 2 calipers then started on the 3rd. and all of a sudden all i was getting was air through the bleed pipe. so i closed the bleed screw and disconnected the air line from the tyre. and realized the fluid wasnt coming through from the ezibleed reservoir. it was just being sucked from the mc reservoir. so without really thinking about it i topped up the mc reservoir. and restarted bleeding the 3rd caliper. then went to do the 4th then the same again just air coming through no fluid:mad:
by this time i had run out of daylight so i was a little pissed of cause the car is going back to get it mot tomorrow. with this playing on my mind i went on youtube and typed in bleeding brakes and clicked on this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyztDFHhaY
and at 27 seconds i realised the mistake i had made
redrant.gif
i hadnt put the the hose in the ezibleed reservoir :embarrest:
so now i have wasted £20 worth of brake fluid 2hrs of my life and i probably wont be able to get the car retested cause my appointment is at 10 tomorrow.
so all in all a bad evening for me!!!
crying.gif

did you have any luck this morning with it ?

i rang the mot bloke and he will see me later at 4 cause ive got the daughter till half 12
so that gives me plenty of time to do the brakes properly today but with the hose in the ezibleed reservoir this time:amuse:

A fresh start is what is needed. Look it in the eye and take your time!

It's really annoying when these silly little things happen.

A fresh start is what is needed. Look it in the eye and take your time!

It's really annoying when these silly little things happen.

well im trying to look on the bright side atleast i know i will have new fluid through out the system and the car will be road legal at 4 today cause it only failed on the cv boots and the brake line

Did you sort it out herb buddy?

unfortunately today didnt go as planned:mad: i bled the brakes and the ezibleed worked properly this time:amuse: the brake pedal was solid so i started the car to reverse it so i could remove the chocks. and the brakes went spongy:( now this happened on my gsi but after a few pumps of the brake pedal everything was ok.
but that wasnt the case this time so i decided to bleed the brakes again. but this time doing the mc and the clutch aswell. and yet again the pedal was solid so started it again and yet again the pedal went spongy:mad: so i had to call the mot bloke and say i couldnt make it. luckily he was understanding but he couldnt get me back in untill wednesday morning.
the only thing i think it can be is the abs unit needs bleeding aswell. but pg says this has to be done through vagcom which i dont have:(

and while bleeding the brakes i spotted that 1 of the rear spring adjusters wasnt seated properly

so i had to drop both shocks to get the spring out to get to the adjuster. so while i had easy access to both adjusters i dropped them both by 10mm

lol buddy eventually you will sort it hows things now ?
well i had a day with the wife and daughter yesterday and not touching it

but good news it now has 1 of these

the bloke at the mot station said the brakes are working 100%
he has come across this braking system before and the slight spongyness will fade over time:D

and the springs are starting to bed that 10mm drop has made a difference at the rear

on the front when i get time i will even them up and drop them about 15mm and then leave it for a month till the springs are truly bedded

and the only other things i need to do is sort the exhaust leak and im now getting an annoying rattle from the cover over the cat
and a damn good clean inside and out