Bulbs

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
Hello all, need some help.

I want to upgrade the bulbs on my polo. For the dipped beam I fancy these new phillips xtreme light or whatever theyre called but for the full beam i was thinking of fitting 100W rally bulbs. Now I know these are illegal but if its your main beam anyway why so? Ive someones driving towards you youd have them dipped anyway.

However my main concern is that if i fit these high powered rally bulbs would it effect the electrics? Would the relys fuse?

its an MOT failure and trouble with the police if your found using them on the road, even blue sidelights cause hassle.

hid conversions are good with brilliant light projection.

what sort of lights were you looking at?

HID is the way to go. I once fitted 120W bulbs to my old Nova which was pre 89 so it could legally have them at the time! The wiring did get warm and the battery was regularly dying but I upgraded the battery and had no problems since. You should be ok with 100's from a heat and load POV unless you have a bank of spots fitted as well - hey theres an idea.

Osram and Philips both do superb road legal upgrade bulbs that can be obtained from www.autobulbsdirect.com

Don't retro-fit HIDs. The law is grey and most police won't be suitably informed but it's still technically not compliant with the law.

All HID cars need to have self levelling lights (ie. not a dash mounted switch) or self levelling rear suspension.

They also must be fitted with headlamp wash systems.

Even if you retrofit both, the headlight assembly has not got type approval for HID fitments.

It's a moot point, and the biggest risk is that your insurer will consider your car to be modified. This is fine until you need to make a claim. And they WILL try anything to wriggle out of paying up.

Hey - I've learn't something. I thought HID was a straight swap in replacement! Thanks HDi Fun.