Phillips bluevision sidelight bulbs

Dan2587

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford fiesta zetec s
Just fitted some today as the led bulbs i had in stopped working but they are supposed to be like xenon colour but mine are yellow has anybody else fitted this cheers.

I got some free when I ordered my last bulbs & thier quite bright but with a normal looking colour temp.

R0016350.jpg

R0016351.jpg

Old pic removed, these are with a faster shutter speed, the light has a slight touch of blue but there is yellow in there too. :D

Last edited:
was looking at them when i orderd these but i cant be bothered to change them as i have trouble getting to the bulbs lol.

I know what you mean. I'm planning to replace the 501s (W5w's) on my car because they're all yellow and aging (probably as old as the car). Standard tungsten lamps do fade over time so I'm going to fit bog standard replacements.

The BMW is so bloody easy to live with, accessing lamps takes seconds. Much as I don't like the 'BMW owner' image at all I do like the sheer thoughtfulness with which the cars are designed and assembled.

You still won't ever get a blue glow from a conventional bulb. Blue filters tint out the blue from the light. It has to do with light temperatures. HID is very bright and runs at the upper end of the light spectrum.

There is no such thing as an HID sidelight either. Blue filters actually filter out everything but blue, incidentally.

HID lamps are strange in the way the way they affect visual acuity.

As Waynne says, they do operate at the higher end (shorter wavelength) end of the visual spectrum.

What is less known is that lamps such as these, which are essentially mercury vapour discharge lamps, do NOT emit white light. (They are doped with various metal salts which do influence the wavelengths and add some of their own, but the greater reason for doping is to accelerate the time between switch on and the availability of usable light.) The spectral emission is actually comprised of a number of discrete lines, or wavelengths, of radiation, the sum total of which gives a very good approximation of the colour of white light. But it's not white light.

Sunlight is not comprised of a number of discrete wavelengths of light. It is a continuous spectrum. As is the light from an incandescent lamp. The human eye and visual part of the brain has had far more years working with sunlight than it has with any artificial light.

So, although the HID is arguably and measurably brighter, I am not sure that the actual visual acuity afford by such light is especially usable to the human visual system. I find that some HIDs can be quite fatiguing to drive by, yet the very finest of filament lighting systems are simply stunning.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back