Breaking traffic laws

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Aside from speed which other traffic laws do you or do you reckon get broken most frequently in your area?

I see flagrant disregard for Amber and passive ignorance of red lights and box junctions seem to be a totaly mystery to some people.

Junction 28 of the M1 is really bad for people going straight through a red. And it's mostly HGV's. I've seen it so many times now and the other week a motorcyclist nearly got mowed down by a HGV going through on red.

rolling through stops signs seems to be a big one around here. that or stopping with your front tires past the line. annoys the heck out of me when im trying to go along the sidewalk and have to walk in the street to get around some idiot.

Lets see the most common around here...
Purposely stopping over the line at traffic lights.
Pulling up inside the cycle box at traffic lights.
Parking in cycle lanes.
Yellow box clots, check! :amuse:
Parking up on pavements outside shops.
Parking too close to junctions.
Parking on double yellow lines.
Parking on double red lines.
Not indicating on islands.
Completely ignoring the rules of using an island period. :x
MIDDLE COWING LANERS!!!

I have to hold my hand up to;
Not always sticking to the speed limit.
Might be a bit keen off the lights some times but I don't don't see the point of trying to dash across when the lights are changing to red.

I see plenty of people up on the pavement (although its only an offence to drive over or along it, not to park), flagrant disregard for double yellow lines and disabled parking bays if a 'convenience store', takeaway, or more often these days, an ATM is involved... and... speeding, speeding, speeding.

So many times people have followed me through a lesser speed restriction only to find that when I hit the 60 I put my foot down - one Mercedes driver hooted and flashed his lights at me because he thought I wasn't letting him past after he pulled out - come on, mate I was doing the speed limit in the 30 so what makes you think I can't or won't do it now we're out of town and into the sticks?

A similar time someone overtook me before the limit changed and then was upset when I caught up with them going under the limit and kept it two metres off their bumper until we were doing the limit, at which point they pulled off the road into a layby.

I've grown up a bit since then, mind.

That rant made me feel good :)

Last edited:
He he! We've all had our redmist moments :amuse: middle laners currently make my blood boil, on my way to Prescott Saturday,on the M5 there was loads of em! I've got to find a way of dealing calmly with these before I have an aneurysm! :lol:

On the way to work between 5 and 6 am, there is a traffic light that refuses to change to green. This means having to edge over and wait for a safe gap... At 5am this can easiliy be done mind as it tends to be empty anyway!

On the way to work between 5 and 6 am, there is a traffic light that refuses to change to green. This means having to edge over and wait for a safe gap... At 5am this can easiliy be done mind as it tends to be empty anyway!

Are you on a side road or the main road?

The traffic signals sound like they are faulty - you could try and call the County Council (or leave a message through their website) to explain the problem and they may able to fix it from the office or from a quick visit from a technician.

A few lights are still on "Fixed Time" which means they have no detectors (or some or all of the detectors are faulty), which means they keep cycling despite a queue of traffic, or indeed a lack of traffic.

Others should have detectors so they can determine where the demand for the lights is and cycle the lights appropriately.

If the detector has timed out (it hasn't detected anything for the last 18 hours), either because the detector is faulty or there hasn't been any traffic you get the opposite affect and the traffic signal controller (look for a big grey box nearby) will decide that it can't see if anyone's there or not and will therefore keep putting in a demand for the green light on the side road.

Usually with the fault you descibe the lights do change from red to green, but after cars have come across the line already!

Junc 10 of the M6 is like that, at three or four in the morning I come off to turn left for Wolvo & the lights on the Island take an eternity to change, it's made worse by the fact you can see other traffic lights blinking away merrily around the island! So sometimes I've given up waiting & assume their bost agian & crept over the line, usually to have the lights change when I do! :lol: