Breaking a car

Jakeymd

The Torque Meister
Car
Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi
I'm thinking of breaking my ashtray for parts but I have no idea where to start. I can't make too much mess and have bits lying around for weeks because its being kept at my girlfriends parents house. I don't want to see it scrapped. It'd be too much of a waste and I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty :D

Start by advertising it asking what people might want. Forums, eBay, Pistonheads ect. To store the engine you'd need a crane so I'd leave that until last unless somebody wants it. Body panels and interior are easy to take apart.

I have stripped a few. I start with the easy and popular bits - gauges, switches, interior (leave the steering wheel otherwise it makes it tricky to move if you have to), ECU, lights, bumpers, bonnet (if under cover), ignition modules, coil (if it's the car in your profile then you don't have some of these :) ), any bling, etc, etc. Leave suspension, engine, drivetrain and steering till last.

I use eBay. Convenient and you have the whole world as your customer base. Forums specific you the car may also work.

Last edited:
Ah, right. Not much money in spares for this car as there are so many about. If it was mine, I would remove gauges and switches, lights, possibly front calipers and interior if it is perfect. At around £150/tonne (last time I checked) scrap value I would weigh the rest in and be done with it.