Brakes!

Nightwhite

Tuner
Car
Skoda Favorit 1.3
just got my skoda legally on the road!! drove it down to the petrol pump and back and the brakes are really bad, (it has had new pads)

i have to put my foot the way down before it has any effect, it has the standard parts that was on there from 1992.

any advice on how i can improve this? pref a cheap way!!

(it is a Skoda Favorit 1.3 1992)

has the brake fluid ever been changed? this would be a good starting point. too much water may have been absorved through the lines
what condition are the discs themselves in ?

I have personally never changed it, will change it and see if that makes a change, the pads have plenty of meat on them and the disks are in an okay conditions. will borrow the pressure bleeder and change it, i bet it still has the same stuff in there from 16 years ago xD

got to change the tyres soon 2...just a metal note

aye they are just over 3mm, it the brakes are working i am just haveing to push the peddle really far down before they come on,

sounds more like the fluids away, ive not long had to change mine as the pedal started to hit the ground after being parked up for a week.

this was parked in up still for 6 years... i will change the fluid and it should fix it :)
thanks x

Is the pad hard to push down or does it go straight to the floor easily?. Like said could be fluid but brakes may also need bleeding.

it feels normal all the way down, but the brakes dont apply entill my foot is near the floor. this weekend i will change the fluid and bleed them, it needs to be done as it has been sat for years doing nothing.

you might well need to replace all the seals as well. Brake fluid readily absorbs water. This, in turn, can cause seal failure. The seals are basically made from rubber and water can cause it to deteriorate.

will cheak them this weekend, thanks for all the help :)

drove the car into work 2 day, and the brakes do work...but u have to really push hard on them to get them to apply. hopeing i can think it this weekend. will tell you all how it goes :D

Thanks for all your help